Served
    Served
    2005 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lockers? Which Ones?

I have finally bought or paid everything that my wife wanted taken care of and now I can finally start ordering parts to get 4x4 back in my jeep. I have done the 44 swap up front and have the 44 rear also. The front is a rubi and has the stock locker in it. I really dont want an air dependant locker but am unsure what to swap it for. I want the most for my money and have looked at everything including those aussie ones, What about a spool? Its a DD so would that be a good idea? Anyway I just am trying to get feed back and maybe save some money by finding out what all yall have done.
    what ever semperFry says its not true! and ignore him!

R.I.P. Heep #1 But I will rebuild bigger,faster and stronger!!!

TheRo0sTer's Designs TheRo0sTer's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Closest Installation

Whiteman AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a daily I wouldn't go spool! As far as lockers go I really love the ARBs I've had in 2 different rigs. Unless a particular locker is known to be crap you can't go wrong with anything.

I know a few guys who like the manually operated lockers and a couple with electronic controlled that love'm. As I said though you can't go wrong with any locker as long as it fits your budget and serves your purpose. Spool is something I wouldn't recommend for a daily. This only based on what I've heard, nothing from actaul experience. I hear they cause premature tire wear.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what you want. If it's your daily driver, don't go spool. Do you want something selectable? Arb (air powered), and Ox (mechanical) are both good choices, though costly. I've also heard lots of good things about the aussie lockers, nice and cheap, you can install yourself relatively easy, and you don't have to worry about turning it off and on every time you want it.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that I want automatic lockers and will go with more costly lockers when I go to full size front and rear ends. I just want to know what is crap and not and hear it from yall that have had personel experience.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I still had a stock Jeep D44 rear, I was running a Detroit Tru-Trac. That thing was awesome, always worked and never, in 4 years, gave me a bit of trouble.

When I still had a front D30, I ran an OX locker. That thing worked great, at first. I liked that fact that it was manually controlled and was not prone to popping out of locked/unlocked. What I didn't like was that the cable was easily damaged. I broke one cable and burned through another one. At $100 a cable, that's too spendy for me.

When I swapped to a full-width Ford D44 front axle, I went with a Detroit Tru-trac again. So far (2 years later) no complaints and still working like a champ.

When I swapped in a full-width Ford 9" rear, I went with a full spool. I using stock 31 spline axles, 5.13s and 39.5" Iroks. 2 years later and I have not had any problems. I like knowing exactly what the rear is going to do in a given situation. I know it will be locked and I know I can steer with the skinny pedal.

We've installed a few Ecteds in cutomer's rigs and let me tell you, SCHWIING!! Those things are drop deag sexy, work like a dream and don't need an air compressor. If Ecteds are in your budget, I recommend you go with those.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea budget is an issue for now. I looked up the Ecteds and yea they seem great but thats a little more than I am wanting to spend. I was thinking of just going with the aussies untill I switch to full width axles and then go with the more costly stuff.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1978 to 1984

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've installed a few Ecteds in cutomer's rigs and let me tell you, SCHWIING!! Those things are drop deag sexy, work like a dream and don't need an air compressor. If Ecteds are in your budget, I recommend you go with those.
    Would the ecteds hold up to 36's?
    Charter Member Of The Gultch Gang
    Team YJ Member

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old style probly won't but they just went to a new cog style engagement system thats suppose to be bullet proof
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1978 to 1984

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man if they are bullet proof I might have to change my way of thinking here
    Charter Member Of The Gultch Gang
    Team YJ Member

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been debating for a while on lockers for both front and back. My mechanic is pissed off because when he regeared me this spring he told me to do it then. Now I am pulling the trigger. The winner is, after much research and talking to owners of various brands..... ECTED. Getting rave reviews from everyone running them, and I have not heard anything bad. Should be completed by second week of Sept. Just in time to start hitting the beaches for the fall surf run.