User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 35'' tires and 3.73 gears in an auto 4 door????

I served...Now I Protect vwJarhead's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 35'' tires and 3.73 gears in an auto 4 door????

If I move to 35'' x 12.5'' instead of 33'' x 12.5'' and still have 3.73 gears in a 4 door JK Automatic am I GOING TO WANT TO SHOOT MYSELF??? Or is it not bad enough that I could stand it for a few months to a year until I can re-gear? Also I should mention I drive 45 min. each way to work(back roads).
    "You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
    Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06

1*
    RIP GySGT. Elia Fontecchio
    -America is not at war, The Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall and Congress is out to lunch....

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You gotta ask yourself, do i really need 35's? or can i do just as much with the 33's?
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 1998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like a crack addict....

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vwJarhead View Post
    If I move to 35'' x 12.5'' instead of 33'' x 12.5'' and still have 3.73 gears in a 4 door JK Automatic am I GOING TO WANT TO SHOOT MYSELF??? Or is it not bad enough that I could stand it for a few months to a year until I can re-gear? Also I should mention I drive 45 min. each way to work(back roads).
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GC52 View Post
    You gotta ask yourself, do i really need 35's? or can i do just as much with the 33's?
    Josh's question is the first one you need to ask yourself.

Being that this is a Daily Driver, I would venture that you don't need 35's.
    Now if you got a good damn deal on them, sure go ahead.

3.73's auto, I think you will hate highways.
    Second question you need to ask yourself, is what gear set are you planning on going to? Are you ever going to make the jump up to 37+ sizes?

Gear pricing dictates, gear to where your end goal is, not to where you are currently running. Also your axle will determine what gear ratio you can go up to.

Looking at Georgia's YJ, she currently has a 4.0L with 3.07's pushing 32's on a D30/35 Open/Open combo. That's about as big as she can get with that gear set. I want to get her 4.10's (donor axles from a 4cyl YJ) as they are a direct bolt on and more than meet her needs. She is at her 'end result' in the build up.
    Whereas my YJ that I'm beginning to build/finish building will have the same setup up starting out as she has currently. As I'm more a risk taker with my wheeling than Georgia is, 4.10's aren't my end result (though I would pick up donor axles as a temporary). I would look at replacing the rear with a D44 and looking at 4.88's possibly 5.13's (don't think they fit in a D30 though). That's even though I'll probably never go bigger than a 33" tire with it. 4.88's and 33"'s are more than enough for what I like to do, with family in the Jeep with me.
    Why wouldn't I go bigger, cause the 1"-1 1/2" extra clearance, that 35" tire, gives me isn't worth the price difference. One full set the price difference pays for lockers.

So ask yourself what is the end result of my build? Honestly ask yourself, will I ever hit an insane Black/Red trail with my Jeep? Is there something your going to need to wheel that will require a 35" vice a 33" tire?
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 33's take me everywhere i have ever wanted to go. (Except thru the long side of Mud Bath, but a locked rear end will fix that soon enough.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, my JK Rubicon has 4.10's & 32's... 6 sp, 2 dr... Everything I read says you will get away with 4.10s and 35s but not for long so running 3.73 sounds like a stretch for 35s... Most JKs with 35s run 4.88s or 5.13s.

I served...Now I Protect vwJarhead's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn it!!!! You guys are supposed to say "yeah, that should be fine."
    You've actually confirmed my own reservations........ I'll stick to 33's and flex the hell out of them until I can go to 5.13 gears and any other needed upgrades to pull it off.
    Love the look but probably not the most practical for my needs/use. Thanks a lot Dream Killers!!!!!!!!
    "You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
    Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06

1*
    RIP GySGT. Elia Fontecchio
    -America is not at war, The Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall and Congress is out to lunch....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all dream of 35 and up, It's much better to get the gears you want to run and install em running 33's than the other way around. youd stress your engine trans, tcase, axles and everyting trying to turn that much rubber. And you might end up with the short end of the stick and break something that costs more than a gear set....just remember the short end of the stick is usually covered in poo also.
    Got Machete?

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry... The look is great, wouldn't mind going to 35s myself but just can't justify it right now... Oh forgot to mention, U have a tranny cooler? If not, you might want to check it out...

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would rather kill the dream before you killed an axle on the trail.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast