Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Really tough Paint ??

I'm looking to make a modern/retro Army Wrangler out of a Rubicon after my next deployment. I plan on using the AEV highline kit, 4" lift, 35" tires, and ALOT of armor. My question is, I'm looking to make it OD Green, but I want the paint to be "tough as nails" I don't need CARC, but I want it to withstand tree and rock abuse. I don't care about cleaning it, or how rough it is, it just has to be tough, and durable...... Anyone have some insight?
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

usnavymitchells

Only way to make it that tough is to paint it and leave it home.LOL The best thing you can do after you have it painted is Clear Coating. It is really what protects your paint. But really nothing stands up to a heavy branch dragging across your paint. I have seen Jeeps that were Rhino lined on the outside. Now that would hold up. I am going to the Jeff Daniels Jeep Show on the 20th and they always have some there. I will take some photo's and send them to you so you can see what it looks like.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well you could lay a base of POR-15 and rattle can the OD Green. that way when you do get scratches you can just rattle can to cover it up.

Rock crawling Infidel BucketOKarma's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well what about something Mil-spec? I know the crap on my M915 was rough and quite tough, but it was all tan, and I'm looking for OD....
    - Shane

2000 TJ 2.5L SE, 2" spacers and XJ springs up front, Crown-Vic springs in the rear, Edlebrock shocks, 33" Dayton M/Ts, JKS discos, SYE/CV shaft, Warn gastank skid, 4.88 gears ShrockWorks sliders, OX locker, Camo soundbar, and 04 Willys Edition front seats, still LOOKING FOR A MATCHING REAR SEAT.

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the entire exterior covered in LineX that's the toughest but not the cheapest. If you go OD paint do not go flat, the flattening agent is very expensive and removes the durability. Leave it glossy. The new vehicles here are that way. The dirt penetrates the paint when it's flat and tears it up, with the gloss it falls off / washes off easier. I was going to paint my last YJ in Desert Camo till I found that they wanted more for flat paint than real paint. At the time it was 150.00 a gal for the flattener, my gal of paint was going to take 3 quarts and they were charging me for the paint and agent so it was like 250.00 or better for a gal of desert tan.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Krylon Ultra-Flat OD Green on the bumpers, fender flares, side steps,...if it was black and on the outside, it went OD. After one trip wheeling I found several rub spots, including the front wheel into the flare, and just a couple spots where the Krylon didn't hold up.

Check this site out, they have a selection of what era OD Green to choose from:
    http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_p...t_bottom_1.htm

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey bucket I noticed your gonna highline with a 4" lift for 35" tires. Unless I'm mistaken all you will need to run 35" with a hiline kit is a 1" BL max to just make sure nothing rubs at full stuff. I think the highline is rated for 34" tires on stock suspension.

Reason I noticed is i'm starting a brute with highline on my ome 2" lift for 36-37" tires
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Rock crawling Infidel BucketOKarma's Avatar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by irish1371 View Post
    hey bucket I noticed your gonna highline with a 4" lift for 35" tires. Unless I'm mistaken all you will need to run 35" with a hiline kit is a 1" BL max to just make sure nothing rubs at full stuff. I think the highline is rated for 34" tires on stock suspension.

Reason I noticed is i'm starting a brute with highline on my ome 2" lift for 36-37" tires

That is true, but I'm looking to get good fender clearance on rocks, and I would like give myself as much room as I can for articulation. Plus I think it's a good look. I might go for 4" of overall lift, by doing 3" suspension/1" BL, so I can do a MML & tummy tucker too. I want to maximize ground clearance while keeping a low COG......

As for the original post; I have heard of people using Rustolium blended with a hardening agent. Anybody heard of doing this? As for doing a gloss finish, I would really rather not. I want it to look official (to the untrained eye at the very least), and would like it to be matte olive green with white, or black stenciling (I'm still undecided on the secondary color)
    - Shane

HeavyMetalConcepts.com

CampMJ.com

SISOffroad.com

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever tried Rustoleum's "Hammered Enamel"? I used it on several high friction areas and although it has a hammered look with ripples and circles (so don't expect a nice smooth shiny finish), it really holds up to abuse and resists scratches. I'd imagine they might have a OD green color or an olive drab.
    It may be worth checking out
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was researching the same thing a few months ago.
    I got some actual two-part CARC paint touch-up aerosol kits (only 3 oz. each) which had the really nice, dark green I was looking for. From the Mil-Spec label, I went to the company's website (www.milspray.com)
    and ordered a quart of the NON-2-part paint- same color, but I didnt want the 4 hour pot-life the hardened paint had (so I had some spare for use later)

I called them, fearing they might be a Mil contractor who wouldn't want some schmuck from AZ who wanted only 32 oz of paint. Totally impressed- they shipped it out quick, took my credit card, and UPS brought it a week later.

The 2-part epoxy is a LOT tougher, I'm sure, but I went with the single component, water dispersable polyurethane coating. They are the same price.

I have yet to find an adequate place to paint it (I have the HVLP paint-gun, but no compressor)- but I have sanded it all down, and covered the Jeep in Multi-Color(tm) Self Etching Primer, so its ALL OD green now, but much lighter than what it'll end up- see VAJeep's color.
    I am NOT a psycho killer!! I'm a United States Marine! Okay, I'm a psycho killer...
    "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast