1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeep Math

Talking to my wife about the jeep recently has prompted her to give serious thought into making me buy a new Jeep (she hates my YJ). I told her that the only way I would do that would be to get a new loaded Rubi and have it lifted to fit at least 33's, not to mention other stuff. So on the cheap side around 31K. She said ok, have to see after we buy a house. From my point of view if I could get 10K, my YJ would be like new. She said 31K makes more sense than spending 10K. I was never good at math, but it don't make sense. What do ya'll think?
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

usnavymitchells

10K no warranty, 31K warranty - 21K difference. So you have to ask yourself this. Let's see buying a house and then adding a huge car payment. Having a new Jeep is nice but weigh all the costs. Now on a lighter side maybe if you converted your headlights to round then she might like it better....For we all know real jeeps have round headlights...LOL Sorry had to through that in there.....

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1977 to 1981

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suck at Jeep Math.

One side of the equation always wants to spend more than than the other side has.....I keep getting negative numbers.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

negative for the bank account!

if the YJ is paid off and running fine...I would stick with it! I can't wait until my Jeep is paid off. I would love to just keep setting the payment aside for parts (prolly won't happen)! Mmy wife loves my Jeep...but she doesn't love the time & money I devote to it and all things Jeep! She keeps trying to talk me into buying a 4dr since we can't all fit in the TJ anymore. We looked at the loaded Rubis a few months back...just too much money!
    Last edited by ezjeep; 09-08-2008 at 09:59.
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Fabulous 4-engine Fighter jeeper1950's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1972 to 1992

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On extreme 4x4 a couple of months ago, they compared the cost of driving a paid off pick up that gets 12 mpg to the cost of buying a new car/truck that gets 30+ mpg. by their math, it would take 7 years to break even (considering the payments, higher insurance, etc.).

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I would love to have a new Jeep it's a lot cheaper for me to replace a part here and there than to spend a lot every month on a Jeep payment.
    "I rather be a rightwing nutjob than a left wing liberal with no nuts and no job"

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1967 to 1971

Closest Installation

NWS Earle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a method to clear up the math but will not help with payments. Make the simplifying assumption and agree that your wife is correct. You might even wind up with 2 Jeeps.

Good luck!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish every month that I still had my paid off YJ instead of my TJ. I did what your contemplating. Not worth it, not for a second. While you may have to replace parts and stuff on your YJ, the parts (in my opinion) cheaper for it than the technical JK. Warranty or not, payment or not, stick with what you have and make it work unless it has too much cancer.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woahh wait a minute whatcha mean"....For we all know real jeeps have round headlights..."? I guess that now I FEEL offended . . . Now can I bit*h a storm around here?????? lol.

And yeah I agree with the rest, even though driving new junk might be better for an every day driver, just imagine how many upgrades and parts you can do without a car payment . . . . what could you do with the yj if you put into it let's say $300 a month?
    WHERE DID THE RUM GO???

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JEEP-Just Empty Every Pocket
    If it can't be fixed with 100 MPH tape, 550 cord, zip strips, and a hammer it can't be fixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast