Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How bad is this?

Alright, lesson learned here - don't let someone borrow your rig ('79 CJ7 w/258) without telling them all the particulars....such as leaving the CB/Radio/Lights etc on will drain a battery- no fancy computer to shut these things off. So, the rocket scientist that he is jumps the battery off from a security guard's truck and runs the clamps backwards.....hot to cold and visa versa. Fortunately for me, he "said" it only sparked a little and he quickly disconnected everything.

The 12v post is now melted about a 1/4 of the way through, the radio won't come on, the voltmeter jumps around like a jackrabbit on speed from 13-15 volts, and when I hit the brakes, the head lights flicker. So, here are my questions:
    1) how deep could this have burned out my electrical system and what could be making the brake lights flicker? If the battery was shot and is not holding a charge, could that make the headlights flicker when the brakes are depressed?
    2) What are the chances that shooting 12v up to the grounding wire that runs from the battery to my dashboard fried all the gauges?
    3) Is my alternator probably shot now as well?
    4) Anything else I should check or expect to be zapped?

Thanks very much for the help.
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like you should track down your grounds and check them.
    By reversing the polarity he may have partialy burnt a ground, this could cause flickering lights.
    good luck
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ghost. Found out a little more info on what happened- he hooked up the jumpers on MY end, or in other words, the end at my battery correctly and then incorrectly connected them to the Security Guard's truck. Thats when they sparked at the guard's truck and he immediately disconnected them. So either way, it seems that it would have fried my battery I think. All wires to and from my battery visually check out ok as do all the wires that I can see under the dash. I ran a meter to my battery as it sits outside the jeep and its deader than dead. So.....if the battery was zapped, that seems to explain why when I step on the brakes, the headlights flicker - not enough juice flowing through the system with a dead battery. In fact I'm surprised the jeep didn't die right then and there when I turned on the headlights. And if the battery is zapped, that would explain the dash voltmeter jumping all over the place wouldn't it? Does this make sense to anyone else?
    Thanks again!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1957 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm. My thoughts from 2500 miles away from the scene of the crime are these. Hooking up 2 batteries backwards for an instant should not have fried your jeep, I think the + - battle would have been absorbed by the batteries - -thats why the post melted, just like a big fuse. To melt wires, you need a bit of time thrown in there. Alternators have diodes to prevent backflow, so i think that it might have survived the attack. If it really was only for an instant and you had a lot of sparks, I feel all the bad stuff got absorbed in that area and not throughout your jeep. Even though your battery showed dead, it probably had at least a little juice in it to resist the incorrect jumper cable hookup - - that is why the post melted. Unless you have some blown fuses, I think you should be OK. Just give your battery a good charge, maybe out of the jeep, and see how everything acts when you reinstall. I sincerely don't think you should have a lot of damage - here again if and only if the backwards flow was just for a second. I think the battery took all of the hit.

Rich

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with Swabby. Your battery most likely took one for the team. Charge it and see what happens.

Oh yeah, go smack your friend in the mouth
    "I rather be a rightwing nutjob than a left wing liberal with no nuts and no job"

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by vajeeper View Post
    Agree with Swabby. Your battery most likely took one for the team. Charge it and see what happens.

Oh yeah, go smack your friend in the mouth
    I agree. One last thing to check would be the battery cables. They might have been somewhat damaged in all of this but it should be up near the battery posts. Then go smack you EX-Friend....

Good Luck and keep us posted on the prognosis.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swabby57 View Post
    Hmmmm. My thoughts from 2500 miles away from the scene of the crime are these. Hooking up 2 batteries backwards for an instant should not have fried your jeep, I think the + - battle would have been absorbed by the batteries - -thats why the post melted, just like a big fuse. To melt wires, you need a bit of time thrown in there. Alternators have diodes to prevent backflow, so i think that it might have survived the attack. If it really was only for an instant and you had a lot of sparks, I feel all the bad stuff got absorbed in that area and not throughout your jeep. Even though your battery showed dead, it probably had at least a little juice in it to resist the incorrect jumper cable hookup - - that is why the post melted. Unless you have some blown fuses, I think you should be OK. Just give your battery a good charge, maybe out of the jeep, and see how everything acts when you reinstall. I sincerely don't think you should have a lot of damage - here again if and only if the backwards flow was just for a second. I think the battery took all of the hit.

Rich

Thanks alot Rich for the information and taking the time to reply - makes me fee quite a bit better. I pulled the alternator and battery last night and am going to take them to the local car shop for testing.
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I agree. One last thing to check would be the battery cables. They might have been somewhat damaged in all of this but it should be up near the battery posts. Then go smack you EX-Friend....

Good Luck and keep us posted on the prognosis.

LOL - I WILL give him a mouthfull that's for sure! You are right regarding the cables - the POS side battery cable is melted as well, so that will need replacing.
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all,
    I feel a whole lot better - was pretty worried about how deep the damage might have gone, especially when I wasn't there to witness what happened.

I'm taking the alternator and battery to Autozone today, I found a blown fuse in the radio, and so I'll give an update this evening as to what I found out.

Thanks again!
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright - a new fuse for the radio, new battery, and the alternator checked out fine.....Back on the road with no issues....amazing. Thought for sure he had toasted something.
    Thanks again all for the help!
    Last edited by CrazyHorse6; 09-11-2008 at 19:32. Reason: correction
    GarryOwen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast