Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice continuing the progress. Thanks for the pictures.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Nice continuing the progress. Thanks for the pictures.
    Speaking of pics... forgot this one.uploadfromtaptalk1429703257071.jpg I'm actively looking for a pressure washer so I can make everything all clean before paint. Also need to make a run to the pickApart for the tupi head.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well today has turned out surprisingly well. After an 18 1/2 hour work day yesterday I needed it. Got up at dawns crack (who is this "dawn"?) And drove down to ft belvoir for my MRI. Having never had one that was pretty cool. Hopefully it shows what the issue is and I can start getting it fixed.
    Since I don't have to be to work until late this evening I decided to haul butt to the junkyard. My goal was to find the much better "tupy" cylinder head for my new 4.0 for sidetrack. After a goodly amount of rain yesterday I expected the yard to be a mess and it did not disappoint. Nasty swamp soup filled with chemicals and who knows what. I decided since I was looking for something specific I'd leave my tools in the truck and do a quick recon. Glad I did because not one jeep there had the head I needed. Kinda disappointed and already dirty I decided to push out to the next yard south, about a 30 minute drive. This yard is owned by the same corporation but is about twice as large. Still super nasty and after wandering the entire American car area I still hadn't found but one grand cherokee with a tupy head (out of maybe 35 jeeps!) And it was SO smashed that I would have never gotten it out. So covered in goo and feeling disappointed I started for the gate. As I turn from one cramped aisle to the main road I spot something. There laying half in the mud with an unmistakable last gen intake manifold is a 4.0 cylinder head. My first thought was no way! Then I crossed my fingers and leaning down to look. Sure as shootin', stamped right in the middle is the word "tupy"!!! You have GOT to be KIDDING ME! uploadfromtaptalk1430078738473.jpg

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry for the sideways pics but there's a good story behind them.
    So I had never been to this junkyard and somehow I walked right by this CJ at the entry as I came in. Figured I'd look closer on the way out and kinda glad I did. While this poor rusted beyond belief 4cyl looked good from a distance, once you actually looked, cancer had eaten the frame. Sadly the rear fender wells looked great as did the floor pans. But the frame was like swiss cheese.
    But the day went first with me scoring the cylinder head for the 4.0. No tools and literally picked it up, threw it in the yard truck, and went and paid for it. Since it went so easily I decided to grab my tools and go see what else I could find. I've been wanting to swap out the bench seat in the war wagon but haven't found seat brackets. Saw an 89 K5 blazer and thought "SCORE!". Slooshed down to it and pulled the seats, easy peasy. Then took off the risers as I didn't need the actual seats. Carried those back and decided it was time to give the CJ a look over. As I'm walking up I notice two other guys already digging around on it and I thought "crap!" Well, as this was seemingly my lucky day, it turns out these guys are only after a few little things. Head light buckets, pedal assembly, and the clutch master cylinder. "Really? What are you working on??"
    Oh, we have a 74 AMC Javalin.
    "No kidding! So I guess you won't be needing this transfer case over here?"
    Nope.
    "SWEET!"
    Needless to say they didn't want any of the things I was interested in. The tranny and t-case were already out laying on the ground. Looked like they had laid there at least a week so I claimed any previous dibs null and void. I have no use for the transmission since its either an SR4, T4 or T5. Hard to say by looking and I didn't care. Just quickly unbolted the two and gave it a few smacks with the hammer to seperate them. Wouldn't you know, the oil coming from the t-case looked brand new! And since its from a 4 cyl, I doubt it got beat on much, if at all. Score.
    Then I went to look at the actual jeep. It was my favorite color, that kinda angry pumkin and probably used to be a really nice lookin' CJ. Odd thing and that which tempted me a great deal was it had both hard doors, glass intact, with the vent windows. Door panels didn't even look that bad. But the drives had a massive dent on the lower rear corner I don't know if I could fix and both had unknown amount of rust. The outside handles were ate up with it but the doors didn't look all that bad. Sadly I passed on them though I probably shouldn't have.
    As I was digging through the back I noticed the tailgate looked a little funny. Walking around back I realized someone had gone to all the trouble of taking off the hinges but left the gate on the jeep.WTF? And the tailgate is in pretty good shape. A little surface rust and one tiny dent but I'd say about a 7 or 8 for a used OEM tailgate. Next I noticed two long, kinda silver looking things. No way, Thinks I. These can't be what I think they are. Yup. Both left and right lower stainless rocker trim. Not a dent on them and perfectly straight. Someone had foolishly painted them and one was missing the mounting bolts (available after market I believe) but in the take home pile they went! Those are getting hard to find OEM.
    Some other misc. junk in the back, remnants of a soft top, some roached bumpers, and oddball 6 lug brake drums. I was about to call it quits when I spotted something on the floor coverd by the passenger seat with no base. I toss the seat in the back and pull out an original AMC bikini top in that sorta nutmeg/brown color? I was gonna bet it was roached too since it had been on the bottom but when I pulled it out and shook it, it looks to be in really good shape. Really dirty and smells like funk, but I'm gonna try and steam clean it and hit it with some armor all and see what it does. Cool thing is there isn't a tear or abrasion on it as far as I can tell. Who knows, maybe it was new and just tossed in before the jeep was put out to pasture? Well see what it looks like after a good cleaning. I also scored the one piece mounting channel too.
    The only thing other than the doors (and not counting the entire jeep) I may have to think about returning for is the drivers seat base. While all CJs have a tilt passenger seat, the drivers seat is usually not. No idea why but this one there had a tilt drivers base. And it worked.
    So... all in all a pretty good jeep junkyard day. I'll have to find a machine shop to go through the tupy head. I don't think my blazer seat bases will work on my suburban (just looked), and I'm back at work for the evening. Hopefully it won't be to late a night and I can go get some rest.
    More to come...

uploadfromtaptalk1430086711760.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430086775934.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430086834549.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430086884163.jpg
    Last edited by jeepdreamer; 04-26-2015 at 19:13.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Scored this off government liquidation yesterday. It's an electric steam cleaner/pressure washer. Hopefully it works because it'll make cleaning nasty jeeps much easier.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It has begun...
    Put the new/junkyard head in the parts washer. It's amazing what a little while in something hot and wet will do for one's head!

*patiently waiting for obvious snide comments* haha

But after that I started tearing down the new motor. Gotta admit this thing looks pretty dang clean. Almost hesitated pulling the head but one memory of the milkshake in my old one killed that fast. A few minutes later and they are both on the bench. Nor for some more disassembly and cleaning. Yea!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Swung by the machine shop on the way to work and picked up my tupy head. Can't say I'm excited by the price tag but it is what it is. I did manage to sell one of my lil Army SHTF tents which covered most of the gaskets for the engine as well as diner so I guess that's good. Tomorrow I'll hit the shop beween work and see to cleaning and prep for paint and resealing. Slowly but surely I'll make some progress.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Today got off to a slow start. Got to the shop and discovered I needed a harmonic balancer puller. Guy there needed brake pads so he hitched a ride with me and we wasted about 2.5 hours trying to find a parts store with what he needed. *shrugs*
    Back at the shop I finish pulling stuff, spend a while scrubbing and cleaning the shot the motor with primer and paint. I am a little ocd when I am resealing a motor since it's a good time to make things purdy. All the covers, bits and pieces will get the same treatment. It's slow but I think it shows in the end that it was done right.
    I noticed my timing chain has a bit of play in it, more than I'm comfortable with and so I guess I'll have to do that to. Specs say no more than a half inch and I'm right at that. May as well since it's easy to get to now.
    I pulled the cam position sensor (replaces the distributor ) to paint and now I'm not sure how it goes back. I know the motor goes to tdc, and the shaft fits one of 2 ways into the oil pump... but I'm not sure which of the 2 180* options it is. Guess I'll have to do some research. But here's where I stopped for today. uploadfromtaptalk1432424720253.jpg

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

F*** S*** A**!!!. Ever done something fairly involved and spent lots of time with the details, trying to make it perfect....then realize after wards you screwed up?
    I spent today putting the 4.0 together. Lots of cleaning and being very careful to make sure it's as right as I can make it. Head gasket on and head torqued to specs in the correct pattern. Pulled the bridge and rear main cap. Got the rear main seal swapped out, cap and bridge reinstalled and torqued to specs. Decided the oil pan needed the timing cover on so the gasket would seal right so decided against replacing the chain. Installed cover and then the oil pan. Being super careful to torque it all in correct sequence to specs. Shops closing so I figured I'd end with the new front seal and the harmonic balancer. Get it all done and start cleaning up to go home and see something laying on the table.
    Damn if I didn't remember to put the timing chain damper thingy back in the cover before I installed it!! I
    It's a black plastic ding dong that keeps the chain from making excessive noise. So now I'm wondering what I should do. Do I really need it? FML! Taking it all apart again will suck and cost more money I don't really have. Just damn. Stupid plastic pos! uploadfromtaptalk1432510585015.jpg

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Got off to a late start today but made some progress. Pulled the timing cover off, slapped on a new chain, and thought about trying to reinstall it without pulling the oil pan. Finally broke down and said screw it. Yanked the pan, tossed the new now ruined gasket, cleaned everything and put it all back together. Two steps forward, one step back.
    Next week I hope to have all the motor together and ready to install. Then I'll limp the xj over here and plan to swap it in. Need to remember to grab my 410 geared dana 30 from storage so I can do that at the same time. Busy busy...