Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank GOD! Finally got that beeatch out!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well... all is well that ends well I suppose? Lots of weird little setbacks once the motor was out.
    Put the old motor on a stand to make transferring parts easier. While pulling the intake I noticed some RTV on the intake manifold at the rear. Pulled the bolt out and, I'll be damned, some previous person had "glued" a huge chunk back on. Wtf? Thankfully I have a spare but who'd a thunk it?
    Next major surprise came when I got the exhaust off. Let me remind any reading this that the xj was my DD and I only stopped driving it because it began having issues while in major traffic. I drove it with the blown head for probably 2 months.
    So, I pull the header and couldn't believe what I saw. Look at the picks and see for yourself!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's actually 3 horizontal cracks on the block. One running from about #2cyl to #5 above the freeze plugs. A smaller one about 4-5"s long and one about an inch and a half, both below the freeze plugs. It kinda astounding it ran at all and the block didn't grenade all together. Guess it says something about the 4.0 but I'd still like to know why it happened. Maybe the head cracked and the extra block pressure caused it? Weird. Sadly this isn't the first 4.0 I've seen with block issues. The others were thrown rods though.*shrugs* hopefully the replacement motor will be trouble free.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Interesting day, slowly productive. Got most of the brackets, valve cover, and motor mounts cleaned and painted. Swapped the faux distributor into the new motor, hopefully "timed" correctly. Then for kicks and giggles I pulled the head off the old cracked motor. It was still covered in milkshake gunk so I wasn't able to see. After a bit of scrubbing and brake cleaner I discovered what I expected. There, between cylinder 3 and 4 going all the way across, was the well documented 0331 cylinder head crack! While that may sound like something not to be excited about... at least if helps support my theory that the head crack caused the block to fail.have a look...just in case you think the 0331 crack is a myth.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rolled the carcass out to the holding pen and blasted the underside with the pressure washer. Holy wet and nasty mess. My eyes still burn from the simple green I had sprayed all over it. But amazingly the underside is super clean and almost no rust. I did find some on the floorboards that was through. Going to try and take care of it and then undercoat it all with bed liner.
    Also made a little more progress getting brackets, intake, exhaust etc all cleaned and painted.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Found some of the "good" blue can Duplicolor spray on bed liner today. Gonna undercoat as much as possible on the XJ before trying to put the motor and tranny back in. Also toying with the idea of painting the trans and t case since it cleaned up so well. Since everything is all out I may as well make things purdy, right?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well... this project has kinda snowballed. As I'd take something off I'd notice something else that needed attention. After pressure washing the jeep I set to spraying bed liner under as much as I could get to, hopefully ending any rust that ever decides to try and appear. Non rusty jeeps are much nicer. I also pulled the front axle to ready things to swap in the 4 10 geared low pinion one. Noticed the control arms are rusting in spits where the powder coat has come off. Took a wire wheel to them and then shot the motor color. Turns out it's the same as rubicon express uses. Then the shocks stood out as having begun to rust too... so they got the same treatment. Then the steering stabilizer. At this point it's looking pretty muck like a brand new jeep...underneath.
    Got the intake and exhaust mounted to the motor. Also the throttle body. And bolted the valve cover down. Tomorrow is one more motor mount then the injectors and such. Slow but steady progress.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)