Retired
    Served
    1952 to 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steering wheel lock system ??

I asked this question on another site, and recieved no answer, Am trying to find out if the steering wheel lock can be diabled ,02 wrangler, as I plan on flat towing a lot, and sooner or later I am going to forget to unlock the steering ??

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it can be but basicly req you remove the key cylinder from the steering then anyone could flat tow it.
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy701 View Post
    I asked this question on another site, and recieved no answer, Am trying to find out if the steering wheel lock can be diabled ,02 wrangler, as I plan on flat towing a lot, and sooner or later I am going to forget to unlock the steering ??
    Good question. If its anything like the older Wranglers and CJ's, you'll have a circular locking ring inside the steering column and its locked and released when the cylinder key is rotated. I would doubt that new Wranglers have this feature electronically designed, so other than pulling the steering wheel and either removing the rod which engages the lock ring, or removing the lock ring itself, I'm not sure what other options you may have. I'm sure you can disconnect the steering shaft, however that is asking for trouble and is more than likely not easily accesible. Locks for steering are of course for vehicle protection, so I'm not sure how easy it is to bypass something like that. Maybe just pull the battery and leave the key in the ignition when you tow it to prevent theft.- good luck!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse6 View Post
    Maybe just pull the battery and leave the key in the ignition when you tow it to prevent theft.- good luck!
    Easiest answer with these newer Jeeps.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1952 to 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for all the quick answers but I just got off the phone with a friend who used to have a wrangler and he stated he flat towed his behind a motorhome, and the jeep dealer disabled his for $75, but he had no idea how. so I guess I will try that first, thanks again for all the replys !!!!!!!!!!!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1952 to 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Guys for the Quick answers, but ater I posted the Q?? I talked to a friend on the phone who pulled a wrangler with a motorhome and had his lock disabled by a jeep dealer for $75, so Guess i will try the dealer Mon. Thanks a .gain for the replies

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1952 to 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all again, don't Know why I double posted but the first post didn't show up untill after I reposted DUD??? but along the same topic,just today a friend with a 91 wrangler 4.0 5 speed came over for a visit,got ready to leave and he could not unlock his steering wheel, he finally broke off part of the switch trying so hard, any way had to be towed and a hell of a time getting it on a truck, as it had to be pulled sideways to get it out of my drive. and lined up for the tow, it will be going to the shop tomorrow, he towed it home for tonight, anyway can't wait to get my steering lock disabled, now for sure !!!!!!!! what if we had been way out in the boonies ???????????????????

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how on-topic this is, but I have a killswitch, so I'd leave the key in and the killswitch armed. Same principle as the battery, but without any trouble I would think.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe check on a couple RV forums, always see cars and Jeeps being flat towed behind those.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good