Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb YJ SOA Questions

Ok i got a 94 yj handed to me it has a soa in the rear but not in the front i want to convert the front to a soa but i have a few questions on doing it. i know a lot of you have done these in the past an i want your opinions please don't hesitate to correct me. #1 how important is the track bar in a yj on leafs? i know the leafs will stop most side to side movement. do i need the track bar at all? how hard would it be to put a Dana 44 in place of the Dana 30 since the jeep is running 35's. i know that if I'm going to do a soa an also looking at swapping axles doing both at the same time will save money an time. If i put a Dana 44 axle under the jeep what do i need to address (i know the drive-shaft, brake lines, pinion angle ) ex. steering, knuckles, hub ? what kind of pinion angle should i have I've heard 8* is common but don't know for sure. what companies offer spring perches sold in pairs or even a soa in a kit. i know of Rubicon Express's kit. is any one kit better than the other. i know this is not a cheap lift if done correctly ($75 SOA= major issues ). please feel free to educate me on doing a soa. i'm all ears. I'm trying to keep the jeep streetable but a well capable trail rig. i'm not plannin on heavily modifying the jeep just fixing its major issues and making it stronger.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definately consider a tie rod flip to help with steering.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have yet to do mine, but have been looking at it since I bought it. What I know is what I have read and been told by people that claim to have more experiance than me. Teraflex makes another spring over kit that is rumored to be worth it. You don't necessarily have to buy a kit though. They also make a tie rod flip kit as apposed to drilling out the tie rod hole and putting in the inserts. Track bars just like the sway bar, don't need to be on YJ's and street driving will not be affected. If you buy spring perches, and get them welded on the new axles, you can save a buck. Here is a link that may help.
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471769
    Like I said, personally, with me it has been more research because I don't have the money right now to do one, but it will come in the near future hopefully.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were gonna SOA the front of a YJ, I'd probably look for a later 80s something Waggy D44 with the driver's side drop. Gotta be careful though as some of them have vacuum disconnects. Those Waggy axles are about 60" wide (WMS-WMS) which is about the same as the stock YJ D30.

For steering, I'd go with flat top knuckles and High Steer.
    If budget considerations precluded that, I'd modify the stock Waggy steering checking to see if I could get the drag link to work without hitting the passenger side leaf pack when drooping the passenger side front tire and turning hard left.

If you end up doing the SOA with the stock D30, someone makes a bolt-on steering knuckle that allows you to do High Steer. Can't recall who makes that though..
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well what i'm looking at doin since i can't pass up a good deal is to put scout dana 44's under it an use a dana 300 transfer case

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that Scout 44s are only 58" wide. That's 2" shorter than the stock YJ axles. With the frame width of the YJ, you may run into some issues with tires rubbing the frame.. might want to run wheel spacers.
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime