Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lift Kit

Look at that.. another one by me. heh. First jeep leave me alone damnit. Anyways, My suspension is shot. I know this because well, it rides like crap and let's face it, the leafs should bend down, not up. I want to get a lift kit. I was thinking a 2" or maybe a 3.5 Never driven with a lift kit before hence the 2, start slow I guess. but I also need to replace the rear leaves, and I havn't found a 2" lift kit with a full set of rear leaf's. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recomendations. Thanks.
    93 Cherokee Sport - Mine
    09 Dodge Journey - ComNavWife's

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep-C...=49861F7397247

Rubicon Express is my suspension of choice. I've run it on my ZJ, a YJ, and a CJ. RE carries a kit ranging from 2" all the way up to a 5.5 inch long arm kit. Personally I'd steer away from the 2" kit as it uses your factory rear leaf stack but puts an arched add-a-leaf under the spring pack. Either the 3.5 super ride, or the 3.5 super flex would be a good kit that would replace all of your worn out components.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell you, if you do 2" you'll want a little more. My current jeep just has a 2" budget boost. My previous had the rubicon express 3.5" kit. 3.5" of lift is pretty decent for a daily driver. Allows you to run up to 33" tires, and as long as you get a full lift you'll hardly notice a difference in driveability.
    Don't know anything about YJ suspensions, so I can't help you there.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Other / None
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you have leaf springs its always good to get replacement leaf springs instead of the add a leaf. Like mentioned before once you get 2" then you will want more immediatly, so go ahead and look at 3.5 or even 4--you will be glad you did.
    I personally like Rough Country-ran it on my xj and now on my yj--it does the job.
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup we liked the Rough Country ones so far. Price has been right as well. Installs were all fairly easy, as far as the RC stuff went. 20 years of abuse on a stock suspension caused the difficulties.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

DEATH BEFORE SHORE DUTY! SquiDMonkeY's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet deal. One of the big things holding me back from doing the 3.5 was the stuff i've heard about extending the break lines and dropping the transfer case and all that other fun stuff. Not near a base so I dont have access to a base lift or anything, it's all gonna get done in my dads garage. Im one of those mechanics who is mechanically inclined, but has no training, so most the stuff I know is from experience (the best if ya ask me) Never done a lift kit or anything like that before, So this is gonna be fun. But yeah, the 3.5 is where im goin. So, when I do this, anybody got any lessons learned or bits of wisdom to depart on a lift kit noob. Appreciate the help so far too, Owe you guys a beer if I ever meet ya.
    93 Cherokee Sport - Mine

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the complete kits come with brake line extensions and t-case drop.

Lots and lots of pb blaster on every nut/bolt. I'd start a few days before hand, then give it a good spray each day until you start.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Most of the complete kits come with brake line extensions and t-case drop.

Lots and lots of pb blaster on every nut/bolt. I'd start a few days before hand, then give it a good spray each day until you start.
    +1 on that! Another great product to have when you are working is made by CRC and called Freezeoff. I have had bolts bog down my 1/2" air gun due to rust. Give them a shot of Freezeoff, count to 10 and hit them with the impact again. Spin right off with 97% success rate.

YJ lift kits are pretty self explanatory. If you are mechanically inclined and have someone there to help, it will go very smoothly. I put a 4" lift on a YJ in my base housing garage in Alaska with hand tools in about 4 hours.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

DEATH BEFORE SHORE DUTY! SquiDMonkeY's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. I got an XJ so we'll see how that goes. I'll have to try and track down this Freezeoff stuff. I know my dad has some PB blaster at his place. Im gonna try and take leave for a couple days so I can do this. Take it slow, learn as much as I can from it, and make sure i do it right. I guess the best part about being on recruiting duty is Im near my old mans side of the family, so i can always hi-jack a garage for the week.
    93 Cherokee Sport - Mine

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1994 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are just after a 2" lift maybe try a spring shop they can make you new leafs and keep it on the cheap to see if you like a lifted jeep or not.
    The spring shop here in salt lake told me $300 for a set of 4 for my BIL's yj with a heavier spring rate for the front winch.
    if you like it then spend the big money on a big lift 4"+.
    Hope that helps
    more options to consider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast