User Tag List

Thread: CJ7 w/258 Carb assistance please!

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CJ7 w/258 Carb assistance please!

I've got the 258 with a MC2100 Carb swapped in. Its running decently well other than a hollow "gurgling" sound, which you'd swear it means running rich. However, when you look at the plugs it suggests otherwise - light tan with almost a burnt power on it.

On to my actual question.....
    I'm having a heck of a time getting the automatic choke to work properly. I've read some other posts on some other forums but they didn't seem to help. Since you guys are obvious pro's I was hoping someone may have some experience with the 2100? The issue is that when its cold the automatic choke doesn't seem to engage the high idle. I can see the cam and the set screw, however the choke doesn't seem to turn the lever enough for the cam to engage and thereby hold the throttle up high until everything warms up. Do I even have the right idea for how that all is supposed to work?
    Thanks!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you do the carb swap yourself? I did mine several years ago, and seem to remember having to move the electric choke off of the stock Carter BBD carb and install it on the MC2100. I'll dig around for the instructions I had for putting the MC2100 on and check what they say.

If I find them, I'll post them.

Good luck,
    Bucky

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Did you do the carb swap yourself? I did mine several years ago, and seem to remember having to move the electric choke off of the stock Carter BBD carb and install it on the MC2100. I'll dig around for the instructions I had for putting the MC2100 on and check what they say.

If I find them, I'll post them.

Good luck,
    Bucky
    Thanks for the help - to make things more difficult, when I bought the jeep it had a holley 4 bbl carb on it, so it wasn't stock to begin with. That carb did have an electric choke and I was considering putting it on the 2100 to see what happens. Anything you could dig up is appreicated!
    Thanks!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could always go to manual choke. A lot of bud's that have 2100s on their CJs have done this.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you are getting the FULL 12 volts to it. The origional choke wire was something LESS!
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
    Make sure you are getting the FULL 12 volts to it. The origional choke wire was something LESS!
    Interesting.... I noticed that even while the jeep had been sitting for over 24 hours, the choke was warm to the touch. I was wondering why. I'll test the voltage this morning!
    Thanks!
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Truck View Post
    Could always go to manual choke. A lot of bud's that have 2100s on their CJs have done this.

Truck
    Tempting....just run a cable through the firewall and be done with it. I almost did that however I wasn't quite ready to let this damn thing beat me yet!
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
    CJ Chet - I am getting 12v to the choke, in fact its 12v constant even when the ignition is off. Is this correct? The reason I'm asking is my battery accidentally drained overnight, so I was onbviously getting no juice to the choke. When I went to start it up, the high idle engaged fine until the engine warmed up - so the choke was finally working!

It seems whenever the engine is just sitting the choke is warm all the time, but when I remove 12v to it, it cools down and I suppose then allows the choke to operate normally. Does that make sense?
    GarryOwen!