Other / None
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Issues

Ok guys a scarey ride home from the party at Ryans--vibe in the rear-think my rear driveshaft it going out again. Clunking in the transmission when I shift gears--could this be caused by the driveshaft issue??
    And thought my fuel problems were getting worse(pick up hoses on filter are detiorating so when it gets to half a tank it thinks im empty) only got to 3/4 tank then it started loosing power, stopped to top it off and made it home but still ran ragged.

Outside today checking things out and I find out I lost a bolt on one of my discos so I was half disconnected and there is oil all around the wheel well and my air filter is drenched and the air box has standing oil(thinking this might be the culprit of the loss in power ragged running last night).

So my question is what could be causing the blowback in oil and how do I remedy this.
    And how the hell did I loose a bolt on my discos?
    God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know much about yj's, but I would guess it's your ccv or pcv valve (whichever your jeep comes equipped with. Start by checking the hoses/elbow that come off your valve cover, a lot of times these can get clogged up causing blow by. Disconnect the hose that run from your intake to the valve cover (on the intake side) and start the jeep up, there should be suction in that hose... if not, it's clogged and needs to be replaced.
    Also check for air leaks around the oil dipstick, the oil filler seal at the front of the valve cover, and also the grommets where the two elbows go into the valve cover. Any air getting in these places will allow fumes to blow back into the air box.
    I think shot piston rings can also cause the issue. If you can't find anything wrong with the ccv/pcv system or leaks in the other places, you might want to run a compression test on the cylinders.

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wheel well oil has me thinking a bad seal at your axle housing. But everything else would seem to be a PCV CCV issue, clogged oil breather lines can lead to bad commpression causing blow by and a loss of power.

As far as the disco's and a missing bolt... Hell, i pulled up to Ryan's house yesterday and a lug nut fell off. So we either have a gremlin that loosens bolts, or just need to check torque more often.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oil around the wheelwell; inside the engine compartment or outside? Was anything else wet with oil? (outer stub shaft, brake backing plate)
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Other / None
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ink View Post
    The oil around the wheelwell; inside the engine compartment or outside? Was anything else wet with oil? (outer stub shaft, brake backing plate)

Inside the engine and outside, like it all fell down from the air box, onto the axle, and ubolts.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there oil inside the air tube leading to the airbox? Like was already suggested; did you have a chance to check your PCV or cylinder compression? Is there anything obvious that is torn, broken or missing?
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Other / None
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have to give it a thourough check tomorrow.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Other / None
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok tried taking the pvc valves off and they both broke apart, one tube(closest to the firewall) completly clogged up. It looks to me that all the oil I see underneath came down from the airbox, had lot of oil sitting in airbox. Some oil was in the throttle body and hose leading to that. Could the old pvc and clogged up line be causing that?
    What is a good cleaning agent to clean oil residue from air box?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's probably a main cause of it. I'd pull everything off from the intake manifold back for a good cleaning. I would just use simple green on the hoses and airbox... that should get the oil off pretty well. Might be difficult to get it out of the intake hoses though, you might be better off just replacing those after you get the blow by problem taken care of.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Other / None
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast