User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wipers quit... Help requested !!!

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Patrick AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wipers quit... Help requested !!!

Well, all of a sudden my wipers don't work. All I have is a Hayne's Manual for my TJ and it's not telling me enough. Does anyone have their owners manual (or a .pdf copy ) and can tell me the fuse layout?

Anyone have any suggestions if its not the fuses? I checked almost all of them already, and they seem fine. Wipers are the only problem at the moment... hoping its not the motor itself. If it is, how difficult of a job is it to replace?

Thanks in advance everyone.

'97 TJ
    "Jessica"

Second time Jeep Owner
    First time 4x4 Owner
    U.S. Coast Guard - Active
    http://www.dadsofgaming.com
    An adult gaming community.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Patrick AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LoL, glad everyone didn't post at once... I know its been a while since I've been on here. Real life has had me by the [email protected]!!$.

Anyway, I've already checked the fuses... they're all good to go.

'97 TJ
    "Jessica"

Second time Jeep Owner
    First time 4x4 Owner

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the wiper switch on the steering column, that would be my next check. Followed in turn by the wiper motor.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Patrick AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that was exactly my thoughts. Will have to remove the plastics tomorrow after work. I've never had to replace anything related to wipers before... 'cept the easy stuff.

'97 TJ
    "Jessica"

Second time Jeep Owner
    First time 4x4 Owner

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The motor is gonna require you to hire Criss Angel.... I know on my YJ it was a pain to remove.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Patrick AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 94GC52 View Post
    The motor is gonna require you to hire Criss Angel.... I know on my YJ it was a pain to remove.
    MIND FREAK? LMFAO God I hope not. I hope that its something else the TJ's have improved upon.

'97 TJ
    "Jessica"

Second time Jeep Owner
    First time 4x4 Owner

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you get it fixed yet?? Mine broke last year - just quit working like yours. I had to rain-x my windshield everytime it started to rain, so I could see where I was going. After 6months of this I became a master! =) Finally i fixed it...Had to take the windshield down & get inside it. There is kind of like a grommet thing that the wiper arms snap into to connect them to the motor.... THe grommets in mine are wearing out & are allowing the arms to slip out of place.

You can order new grommets, but i took mine out and turned them around & snapped em back in. Works fine for now.
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great tech tip on flipping the bushings...they won't get the same wear as new ones, but they will still go for a LONG time like that and it doesn't require a trip to the stealership. Points to the new She-Jeeper.
    S/F
    Jeff
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Patrick AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeafspringMARINE View Post
    Did you get it fixed yet?? Mine broke last year - just quit working like yours. I had to rain-x my windshield everytime it started to rain, so I could see where I was going. After 6months of this I became a master! =) Finally i fixed it...Had to take the windshield down & get inside it. There is kind of like a grommet thing that the wiper arms snap into to connect them to the motor.... THe grommets in mine are wearing out & are allowing the arms to slip out of place.

You can order new grommets, but i took mine out and turned them around & snapped em back in. Works fine for now.
    Whew, thought you all forgot about me... lol j/k. Well, not long after posting this I received a nasty back injury that put everything on hold for a bit. It's gotten a little better, and finally tore this all apart the other day. I got to the wiper motor rather easily, but my test light had a huge alligator clamp on it and wouldn't allow me to test each prong of the plug, and needless to say I wasn't smart enough to get a nail, wire, paper clip (MacGuyver), etc. Borrowing a Fluke from work tomorrow, to test it further this weekend. I'm pretty sure its the motor. But would hate to buy a new/refurb. one for $84 (w/ a $25 core) just to find out its something else. I checked the fuse first, and it seems just fine. I also took apart the steering cover, and part of the dash for the first time, just to see if I could get the switch out... F- that... too small and too delicate for this guy I think. Those little parts scare me. Needless to say, I'm now driving around with the wiper arms off (which was a PITA BTW) and still no working wipers. Damn I hope I can get this fixed soon. Keep the responses coming guys... and lady and thanks !!!

'97 TJ
    "Jessica"

Second time Jeep Owner
    First time 4x4 Owner

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Good luck Gunner!! Hey.. RAIN-X ALL THE WAY!!!!

As I said, worked for me for months. Just keep a roll of paper towels in your rig. I found a bottle of spray on rain-x (in kinda like a glass cleaner container) spray on, wipe off. Easier than using the concentrate. Dont have to clean the windows first & are not stuck there doing the "wax on, wax off" thing until the concentrate fog goes away.
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast