Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1980

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CRITICAL: Solutions for Saving Off-Road Recreation

Solutions for Saving Off-Road Recreation -- Uniting and Banding Together (UBT)

by Del Albright

Part I: Uniting and Banding Together (UBT)....The Future of OHV Recreation Depends Directly on Us! Our freedoms are at stake in the backcountry...off-roaders and backcountry explorers need to band together and unite like never before because there are just too many people who don't understand or appreciate what we do; and they want to close us down! STOP the madness; KEEP the fun alive; and be part of the solution with me...Ignited We Stand like our friends from SEMA say. Get ignited and stand with your fellow off-roaders and outdoor recreationists -- and realize no one else is really out there doing it for you! Learn about why your trails and access are in jeopardy. Learn why the wrong politicians can ruin what we have. Get ignited.

Part II: Uniting and Banding Together (UBT) in our sports -- Our Fight Back Strategies Must Evolve! Much like an off-road rig grows and evolves over time, our fight back strategies to keep our trails open have to evolve. We must take a national perspective and apply large scale solutions at the local level, with local clubs and folks who are vested in their sport and their area. But we must do this together; united; banded together; and become members of every group that makes sense to us. Join those groups that make sense to you and who are actively fighting for you -- even if they are not perfect. Start with the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) at http://www.blueribboncoalition.org. Join up!

Part III: Uniting and Banding Together (UBT), Get in the Game or Give Me Your Keys! Getting in the game, even if you have to get angry to do it, is ok with me. Here's a blog from an angry landuse partner who wants the keys to your 4x4/OHV. He's got a plan; and he's got a statement, albeit it's a bit harsh for some, it is worth reading because so much of what he says is true. Read Jerry's blog right here: http://givemeyourohvkeys.blogspot.com/.

Part IV: Uniting and Banding Together (UBT);Firing Volunteers. Harsh words, I know - to fire a volunteer (or paid landuse/organizational person for that matter) is a huge step we don't like to take, but the time is now to take it where needed. If your club or group has someone bringing everyone else down, and if you can't fix them, FIRE THEM! Yes, try to fix them first, of course. But some egos can't be overcome and some volunteers will never quite fit in or follow the will of the majority. They gotta go if you expect to survive as a group, or if you expect to keep the sport alive. Whatever you do, do not let saving trails take a second seat to someone saving face.
    Here is more on filtering out the "possibles, partners and poops."
    http://www.delalbright.com/Articles/club_problems.htm.

Stay tuned for more on this plan to save our sports and our trails. Please feel free to share it, post it, and comment on what else we can do....it's up to us.
    In the meantime, please visit these helpful websites:
    http://www.blueribboncoalition.org
    http://www.delalbright.com
    http://www.muirnet.net

Del
    Del Albright
    Jeeper, Land Use Advocate, US Army Special Forces (ret)
    Host of Volunteer and Leadership Training Online, RLTC
    Founding Trail Boss, Friends of the Rubicon
    1997 TJ, lifted, locked, winched and racked

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1969 to 1973

Closest Installation

MCAS Beaufort
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Del, I understand Jerry's point of view. A person can only do what they can afford or have time for. Not an excuse, many of use belong to Clubs, like United four wheelers, blue ribbon, ect. and when they hear about something happening they fire of e-mails their congressmen and representives. We go out with our clubs and do trail clean-ups to show the positive side of wheeler's. So other than pick-up a chain saw and go out in open rebelion and start cutting trails in forest, what is to be done. I think most of us are just as frustrated, it seems as if I efforts are for not, and nobody is listening or see our efforts. It's much easier for for people to relate to saving an owl than it it is to saving a dirt trail. We have a much harder P.R. problem than the tree huggers, and they have one hell of a head start. Jerry"s enthusium may be justified but be careful how you try to fire people up cause it's just as easy to alient then.
    Last edited by SNAFU; 08-08-2013 at 08:44. Reason: miss spoke or typed poorly

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1980

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, for sure, SNAFU I understand how someone getting too fired up or pointing too many fingers can like turn someone else off. And yes we all have different ways of doing our "part" to help save trails and keep the sport alive. But my goodness, I see a lot of "lack of involvement" in some areas where I travel. Or maybe I should say, I run into a lot of folks who think someone else is "doing it for them." I guess that is what scares me, and why I would share something like Jerry's blog.

I know most folks who read forums like ours here are more than likely do their part and perhaps even more than that. But what I hope is that we all, all of us, take what info we can use, what info we can use to motivate someone else, and get out there and find those folks on the fence who have yet to realize that no one else is doing it for them, unless they are doing it with us. Does that make sense? BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC), for example, is nothing without its members; because BRC is its members. You are us; we are you.

I'm sure Jerry didn't want to alienate anyone....he's just reaching out in a harsh way to get the attention of those who have yet to realize how serious our sport is in jeopardy. For me, my message hasn't changed much over the years --- JOIN everything you can afford to join (and support): ADVOCATE for your sport and be a good example of four-wheeling; INCLUDE others like members of the press or a local politician when you can; and LETTERS - write them when asked by groups you support.
    Del
    Del Albright

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1969 to 1973

Closest Installation

MCAS Beaufort
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Understood, wasn't trying to be a downer. The sad thing is that we are up against well established groups (like green peace and serria club) and they have pictures of seals and owl and all. With that, they have the P.R. to gain a well established client base to draw recorcesss from, not to mention they have celebrity pulling power. We really do have an up hill battle. And I agree that people do need to wake up, before they had no place left to wheel. John

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1981

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great little conversation here too bad more are not involved and I think that is the moral to this story and what Del is trying to portray, and what John understands. There s/b 25 or 50 people in here responding to this....i.e. what Del said here "But what I hope is that we all, all of us, take what info we can use, what info we can use to motivate someone else, and get out there and find those folks on the fence who have yet to realize that no one else is doing it for them, unless they are doing it with us. Does that make sense? BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC), for example, is nothing without its members; because BRC is its members. You are us; we are you."

And what John said " The sad thing is that we are up against well established groups (like green peace and serria club) and they have pictures of seals and owl and all. With that, they have the P.R. to gain a well established client base to draw recorcesss from, not to mention they have celebrity pulling power. We really do have an up hill battle. And I agree that people do need to wake up, before they had no place left to wheel. John "
    is also true but John what you may not/dont know is what great success BRC has had on a budget that those groupsspend on lunch and we have gone toe to toe with them and in many instances BRC won. But it is getting harder to compete with the economy dowd the first place the cut is those very important memberships to orgs like BRC and that directly impacts our legal battles, so we well know how the economy hurts..
    PS I am not just a BRC member ....I am also its President, so I am a tad partial..

John how was CampMJ Midwest at SMORR ???
    JP

NEVER FORGET
    olllo
    Semper Fidelis

"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING". ...... EDMUND BURKE.....

PS3 gamer tag- jeepinjp/clan tag- MJ COD:MW2

WFTW http://www.wheelersforthewounded.org/
    WFTWNJ http://wheelersforthewoundednj.org
    NJJC http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/
    NOHVCC http://www.nohvcc.org
    BRC http://www.sharetrails.org/ B.O.D. 2009 V.P. 2011-2013 Pres. 2013-2015

I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me....

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1969 to 1973

Closest Installation

MCAS Beaufort
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Was just reading on the UFWDA news letter. Here's a good example of how the use of public lands are being nickled and dimed away from the public. 12822 acreas of BLM land gone due to a plant called Gierisch Mallow. It only grows in specific areas. Just so happens that those areas contain minerals that mining companies want, so lets close the area of to everybody, so the plant can carry on, but no one will ever be able to see it, since you now have no way to get to the areas that it grows. In writing the study, they (the conservationist) put down mining and recreational vechiles as the reason to protect the plant. I agree that some wheelers do not pratice tread softly. But, by having those of us who do in the area, they actually have a force to help them police the area. Face it those who don't traed lightly don't pay much attention the closed off area signs. Any way that's what is happening a little here alittle there and before long it's gone.
    SMORR's isn't till Sept. 5,6,7&8. Well let you know after it's over.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=SNAFU;422935]. I agree that some wheelers do not pratice tread softly. But, by having those of us who do in the area, they actually have a force to help them police the area. Face it those who don't traed lightly don't pay much attention the closed off area signs. QUOTE]

This is where we have the problems, the few that don't follow give everyone else a bad name. exactly why I will not ride with certain groups as we discussed at Camp MJ. the group next to us is an example of a group that is giving those who do follow tread lightly and are conscious of where and how we wheel a bad rep. if we could start from within the wheeling community and teach the importance of tread lightly and sticking to marked trails it would go a long ways to improving our (off roaders in general) reputation. however when you You tube someone off roading they are usually tearing up public land and not on marked trails. point is these people are fueling the fire against us we need to voice are own opinion when we see people doing these things wrong, as I did when I stopped going with the other group afore mentioned. I went out with them one time to GWNF and at our lunch break I told them this is the last time I come out with you because you all spent 45 minutes in the mud pits that had signs all over the place that it was off limits fore reforestation.
    2006 LJ
    4.56 gears ARB's front and rear, SYE with Tom woods shaft, VIAIR OBA, 4" lift, 35" MTR's, currie currectlync link steering. Stinger front bumper and winch. poison spyder hood louver, rock slider, and steering skid. SAVVY gas tank skid, SAVVY tummy tuck with modular under armor kit. Poison Spyder trail cage kit

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1981

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=jsnruth;422947]
    Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
    . I agree that some wheelers do not pratice tread softly. But, by having those of us who do in the area, they actually have a force to help them police the area. Face it those who don't traed lightly don't pay much attention the closed off area signs. QUOTE]

This is where we have the problems, the few that don't follow give everyone else a bad name. exactly why I will not ride with certain groups as we discussed at Camp MJ. the group next to us is an example of a group that is giving those who do follow tread lightly and are conscious of where and how we wheel a bad rep. if we could start from within the wheeling community and teach the importance of tread lightly and sticking to marked trails it would go a long ways to improving our (off roaders in general) reputation. however when you You tube someone off roading they are usually tearing up public land and not on marked trails. point is these people are fueling the fire against us we need to voice are own opinion when we see people doing these things wrong, as I did when I stopped going with the other group afore mentioned. I went out with them one time to GWNF and at our lunch break I told them this is the last time I come out with you because you all spent 45 minutes in the mud pits that had signs all over the place that it was off limits fore reforestation.
    yea Jason you and John hit the nail on the head and if each one of us can convert one of those asshats over to understand tread lightly principles and each of those convert one we are on our way.. although it would be much quicker if we could do some sort of mass conversion. and that is the reasoning behind the aforementioned blast that Del posted by Jerry, and the reasoning why BRC and other orgs push the belong to clubs,associations etc. like MJ and get the word out... Gotta start somewhere
    JP

NEVER FORGET
    olllo
    Semper Fidelis

"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING". ...... EDMUND BURKE.....

PS3 gamer tag- jeepinjp/clan tag- MJ COD:MW2

WFTW http://www.wheelersforthewounded.org/
    WFTWNJ http://wheelersforthewoundednj.org
    NJJC http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/
    NOHVCC http://www.nohvcc.org
    BRC http://www.sharetrails.org/ B.O.D. 2009 V.P. 2011-2013 Pres. 2013-2015

I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1980

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difficult part for many of us is finding the patience to let the education process take hold, but it is about education when it comes to folks not knowing or not understanding the rules.
    We have to set the example; we have to educate the non-joiners or those who don't get it. At least we have to try to educate them before their actions get us closed out of our opportunities. And if we can't educate them; we bust them! We call the cops; we report them to the officials; we do something OTHER than let them get away with ruining our sport. But give them a chance first...

Now when I say we bust them, I am not suggesting getting confrontational. No, please don't get hurt over trying to convert some yo-yo. We educate them; we talk to them; we explain the consequences of what they are doing; and we try to get them to "see the light." If that doesn't work; take a picture with your phone; get their license plate; make sure you can ID their face; and REPORT THEM>

Reporting someone means you have to be willing to stand up and "testify" to their actions -- that you saw them do whatever. But even if you don't want to do that, at least get their azz-hat behavior on record with some authority.

Del
    Del Albright