Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default YJ lift? 1989 auto

Well you guys definitely put the nail in the coffin on the FI kit. I have been looking at lift kits for over 6 months thought i had one and found out it won't work. I would like to put 6 inches on it and I would like to clear 35s with 17s or 18s. I would also like to keep the cost below 2500. preferably more like 1500 but im being realistic. I have a 1989 YJ automatic... I guess I could do 3inch suspension with 3 inch body? Man i wanted that 6 inch Skyjacker....

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't recommend a 3" body lift on a go-cart let alone a Jeep Bro. Don't do it...very unsafe!!!!!
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3" BL not good.

Have you looked at Rough Country or any others for your desired lift?

Right now Georgia's has a 4" Rough Country Suspension and a 1" Daystar Body Lift and 1" Brown Dog Industries Motor Mount Lift.
    Never a rub issue with her 32"s. I know she can fit 33" easily as well.

What axles do you have in the YJ anyways? And what gears? That will help us help ya out on deciding what direction to go with.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x3 on staying away from the 3" BL.

Check out 4wd.com. Ive seen several 4 and 5" kits for your application these plus a 1" BL and you will be set. Well under 2500 too.
    Project 1: 79 CJ-5. 258, T-18A, D20. D30 front, AMC20 rear.

H&S Co. 4th AAV Bn. 4th MarDiv

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like has already been said, I would avoid the 3" bodylift man. If you want, give me a call at the shop sometime. I can put together a package deal for you (lift, rims and tires) that will be what you are looking for.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air force tacp woot woot, Yea its going to be a few months before I do the work but I could use a package deal. I have the fantasy in my head that i can get 35s and 18s still. I was doing some research and checking out the Rubicon 4 inch or 4.5 with maybe the 1.25 body lift that quadratec has listed or something similar. But i have a few months left over here to debate it. My jeep is an Automatic tranny but I am unaware about the axles. What kind of axle info do you mean? I am about to process my Fi kit as we speak Too bad I can't drive the sucker.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforcesoldier View Post
    Air force tacp woot woot, Yea its going to be a few months before I do the work but I could use a package deal. I have the fantasy in my head that i can get 35s and 18s still. I was doing some research and checking out the Rubicon 4 inch or 4.5 with maybe the 1.25 body lift that quadratec has listed or something similar. But i have a few months left over here to debate it. My jeep is an Automatic tranny but I am unaware about the axles. What kind of axle info do you mean? I am about to process my Fi kit as we speak Too bad I can't drive the sucker.
    You'll need your VIN: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/ on the left side you can have them email you a build sheet. I think 89 you will be ok getting it from them. There are a few years (the AMC to Chrysler changeover) that information is lost. I know my '86 was like that, as are most '85 - '87 I believe.
    Failing that use this: http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml to identify your axles. Most likely you have a Dana 30 front and a Dana 35 rear (if your lucky you have a Dana 44).
    If you have the D35 rear, beware of putting 35" tires on her. Some on here and other places snap them regularly with lots of stress. Though others (myself included, but I only ran 32"s on them) have been lucky and not broke them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YmEj0R1Q1w See the 1:40 mark on that video for what is being talked about on that. (Thanks Chris )

Guess the real question is the lift/tires for looks or will you be wheeling the piss snot out of it.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Bill (and Korisu!)...I always get a chuckle watching him club that thing like a baby seal and then snap the axle!
    Cheers!
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We manufacture our own 1" bodylifts, so I can hook you up with one of those. RE makes some killer stuff, but you will pay more for the name. Yes, you can get 18s with 35" tires if you want. Like Yeti said, you more than likely have a Dana 30 front and a Dana 35 rear. Those were the most common axles slung under YJs.

It's too bad your Jeep is in Georgia. If it was closer, we could pick it up and have everything installed and set by the time you got home.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know folks don't like the 3" body lifts, but we have one on the wife's YJ and it has never been a issue. just keep an eye on the bolts and it'll be alright...

are you looking for a shop to do this? looking to have a couple folks help you out? as long as you stay off the pedal with the 35's you'll be fine. you should have the d35.

now what i did with the wife is a 3.5 BDS with the (booooo hisssss) 3" body ... we can easily clear 35's

i like the BDS cause of the military wrap on the springs.....

pics with 33's
    frank
    USMC 1990-1999

jeeps 49, 55, 57, 80, and 93