Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fuel Injection for CJ's

Anyone had any experience with these - here is a used one I came across online - good deal?

Replace that troublesome Jeep carburetor and ignition with reliable EFI!
    Conversion to EFI greatly improves starting, running and off-road performance.
    Complete Fuel Injection system for AMC-Jeep 258 cid 6 cylinder engine; removed from running CJ-7 for V8 swap. Has many new parts. Includes Wrangler multiport manifold, air intake, GM HEI distributor, fuel pump and filters, AirSensors Digital EFI, harness and sensors. Works with stock exhaust manifold.
    For more information about AirSensors EFI visit: http://auto-nomics.com/

GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chrysler MPI kit looks about like that and they go for about $2500 so as long as it's less than that you are in pretty good shape.

Just be advised, if you are just looking to add fuel injection and aren't very particular about what kind, you can do TBI for a lot cheaper. A brand new kit is about a grand and a junkyard setup is about $300.

If you are set on MPI, then this looks like a good kit. I'm not really familiar with MPI so I don't know what all is required and I can't tell from the pic if it has EVERYTHING you need. I know the earlier engines didn't have provisions for a CPS, so it either requires the later harmonic dampner (harmonic balancer? i can never remember) or a modified CPS that mounts in the bellhousing. Check for that and also check to make sure the manifold is the correct one. It says its off a CJ-7 but it also says its a wrangler intake so it may have been part of a 4.0L head swap. The 4.0 manifold has to be modified to fit on the 4.2 head, I'm not real sure how much though.

I think that covers it all.

Semper Fi
    Project 1: 79 CJ-5. 258, T-18A, D20. D30 front, AMC20 rear.

H&S Co. 4th AAV Bn. 4th MarDiv

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with above. I don't know how much that kit is. But a Howell TBI kit is just over $1k new and junkyard version can be done for $300-400. If interested in junkyard version go to bustedjeeps site.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the valuable input guys and good looking out for any parts that may be missing or not compatible- that just the feedback I was hoping for.

I did see the bustedjeeps project - very tempting. The setup for sale if available for $500, so it seems pretty competitive with the junkyard specials. But, if this already comes with everything I need, then it may be worth the extra $150 not having to search for everything.
    My motivation for EFI is because I'm sick of my MC2100 that just won't behave. I'm not exactly partial to MPI or TFI - which ever is more reliable and easier to work with is good with me. I probably need to do more homework on fuel injection options as I'm not familiar with the difference or advantages / disadvantages between Multi port and TFI.

As for the Crank Position sensor or Harmonic Balancer, I've asked the seller if his system needs either one as I'm not sure that my '79 258 has either. I also asked about the intake manifold as the fact that he did call it a "wrangler" head makes me wonder as well.

Thanks again guys!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on how complete and wether it will bolt on to your head 500 bones is a good deal. I think it might still be worth it even if you have to get a 4.0 hi flow head. 4.0 head and this FI project would definately give you some added HP.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice Truck. I still waiting to hear from the seller to find out about the head. I'm still not sure if I have a harmonic balancer or not - would you mind taking a look at the pic and seeing if you can tell? Its a 79 258.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're engine probably has one, but it's a little different.

I'm not sure how exactly it works but the later balancers have something machined into them (hole, gap, or something) that the CPS picks up uses to trigger it's signal. You can have your harmonic balancer machined to work but I hear that it's expensive and it's easier to get one off a later MPI equipped engine because as far as fitting the engine goes they are interchangable (pretty sure).

As was said before even if you have to do a 4.0L head swap it's still a good price if everything is there and will work.
    Project 1: 79 CJ-5. 258, T-18A, D20. D30 front, AMC20 rear.

H&S Co. 4th AAV Bn. 4th MarDiv

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found out that the intake does fit my 258, as well as the original exhaust manifold, and does not require a harmonic balancer nor CPS (supposedly). We'll see I guess.
    I'm slightly concerned about getting screwed, but then again I was concerned about that when i first bought my jeep and look where i am now! Even more broke than before. But hey, what are jeeps for then right?
    I guess my next thread will be in about a week asking for help with the injection install.
    Thanks again guys!
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost the bid by $10. Almost had a fuel injection kit for $525.
    Damn.
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2005

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be a good sign. Ask yourself why was the setup being sold? It was obviously used. Yea, it's only a little over 500 but that's half of Howell and about the same as busted jeep's. Both have new unused parts. I'm not bashing you at all. I just refuse to go used or junkyard on some things, especially the engine. I have the Howell system on my CJ, although it has been on stands for a year, but was very satisfied with the parts and instructions. If I had to do it again, I would go with Howell again.
    81 CJ7, 30 over 258, did the Weber thing now I'm going with a Howell injection kit, 2.5 lift, SRS, and the all important M998 instrument panel with Equus gages. Also have a 71 AMC 360 to rebuild when I kill the 258.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast