User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a new over head console for my JK.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Building a new over head console for my JK.

So with limited options on the market and the better ones will not work with the SPOD I ventured out to make my own set up. For some basic direction I built a mock up of what I would want it to resemble.

In the Ruff stages. I only have 3 switches the pod will hold 6 total.

This was the overhead I was using it worked great but is beatup and coming apart.

So after getting an Idea of the flow I wanted I ditched the cardboard model started measurements and with technology on my side this is where I am at.

So the base plate/frame of the whole structure will be of a 12g reinforced slotted steel, basically what molly gear looks like. Further back on the frame the pouches for my two surefire flashlights and storage bag will be re-attached kinda like it is in the above picture.

If you were sitting in the driver seat looking up at an angle this would be about the view.

So a few more final touches and a few modification and final measurements and it will go off to the Fab shop to be built. All measurements are to scale to include the thickness of the metal over all length is 37" width is 10"

Front and rear mounting. The front mount is already made and installed so I did not get to detailed on the drawing, but I removed the loop that the hardtop latches would normally hook to and attached the bracket there.

Rear mount will be a separate piece all together it will form around the roll bar then on the base plate for the console with hardware attaching it to the roll bar.

From the face of the radio to the sound bar I will have 15" of space maybe more depending on what changes I make before we start stamping it out.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool I like the look of it should work great. I kinda thought of doing something like that. I'm not going to buy the ones they have, to expensive. Thanks for doing all the work for me lol. Im looking forward to seeing it done
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Its a jeep, if I wanted a hummer I would of called your sister.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the guy building if for me maybe selling them soon.. I will keep the thread updated.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I changed my mind and reworked the console, this is the final that is going to the shop, The gauge and switch portion is meant to favor the look of the SPOD, it will hug the natural shape of the inter molding while still clearing the rear view mirror. The location and angle of the CB mount changed as well I have built this section and have test fit it in the Jeep and the CB is visible while allowing a clear line of sight to all switches and gauge. I also reformed the rear mount so detentions in the drawing are exact to the roll bar that it will attach to. I should in theory be able to email the files to the shop go pick it up and bolt it in. For caution and margin for error we are going to wait till we have the Jeep in the shop and built/test fit as we go. Either way I am pretty excited about it cant wait to have it built.

Front mount will be simply two screw holes as a custom mount is already in place on the windshield frame.

This would be the drivers point of view if looking up at the console from the drive seat.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2013

Closest Installation

Randolph AFB
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good

Mike

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well got a lot done this weekend, still have a lot more to do. The CB will be enclosed into a box and the angle will be matched to the angle of the CB. Plan to make an installed camera mount for an onboard camera. But for what we have in it, it looks pretty good also built some Molly gear and bolted it on for the light holders and the storage bag.

The rear mounts are making use of the OEM holes that the hard top would use instead of tiring to build any brackets, unsure at this time if it will work with the hard top going to try to test fit it in a JK with a hard top this week. The front mount uses the OEM windshield bracket.

The best toy I have been around in a long time. Very cool machine.

Test fitting.

The gauge and switch pod.

Base plate for the console.

Pod welded up and more test fitting.

Welded the pod to the console.

Got the CB mount put in, going to box in the CB just that will be done later.

Made some Molly Gear,

A quick peak before I fit it into the Jeep in the morning. The CB mount is going to be changed so it matches the angle of the CB, and I plan to have the face where the gauge and switches are be removable for easy access to wiring and mounting bolts.

CB and mount is a little off set but that is going to be corrected.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that looks really good. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how it would look in polished dimond plate. I like it.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Its a jeep, if I wanted a hummer I would of called your sister.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks great! I fabbed something similar for my TJ, that holds the CB and my Ham radios.

But it's not as fancy as yours. Really like the switch/guage console.

Another nice thing, is you can throw a couple of magnets on there, and secure papers/permits/etc.

I use the magnets to hold my camping permit, OHV park daily registration (which gets turned in when you leave the park- doesn't get lost/blow out of the Jeep)

Can't wait to see it installed.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea it would look cool in stainless or aluminum but I like the magnet idea.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it installed tonight, was really easy. I will have some daylight photos tomorrow. Going to tweak the CB mount a little and it is close to finished.

General drivers point of view.

From the back seat.

Pod by the interior panel.

Passenger side view and pod to panel.

The CB is going to be raised up and back and the angle of the mount will be cut to match the angle of the CB.

Looking in. This is where you can see the amount of adjustment for the CB. The bottom of the CB will not be covered but the top will be enclosed.

Not the best pictures but just want to give a general idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast