Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rear axle yoke

How much slack/play would you say is too much for the pinion yoke? Im getting ready to change out the rear u-joints and with the drive shaft off wheels on ground i can turn the yoke with my hand about 1/4 inch back and forth. I found this investigating a problem i thought was gonna be just the u-joints. When gassing from stop, in between shifting, or slapping the gas i can feel alot of play in the rear drive train. it feels and sounds like there is too much slack and once a load is put on it, i can feel and hear it, i guess slap or thud?? sorry im trying to think of what the noise actually sounds like.....
    it happens when ever the load is taken off then reapplied it seems to me like the gears have to much space between the ring and pinion. i could be going over board with this and its probably just the loose u-joints. but if anyone has any opinions before i get started in the morning. thanks.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found the problem. it was a mixture of bad u-joints and worn control arm bushings. figured I'd post it in case any one runs into this problem.