2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CJ6 questions

can anyone tell me anything about cj6's i've read they were used as ambulances back in the day. i found one that a buddy of mines dad wants to sell me. we used to play around in it in high school and id love to have it b/c i love the way they look when restored. he's asked me what i think it's worth and i honestly have no clue. it has the hard top and hard doors but they are pretty much fully corroded. the body has some corrosion on it. ok a little more than some but its not beyond repair i dont think. anyway, any help of advice anyone could give is appreciated.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Wikipedia

The CJ-6 was simply a 20-inch (508 mm) longer-wheelbase (101 in) CJ-5. Introduced in 1955 as a 1956 model, the CJ-6 was never very popular in the United States. Most CJ6 models were sold to Sweden and South America. The U.S. Forest Service put a number CJ-6 Jeeps in to use. American sales ended in 1975. Just 50,172 had been made when the series went out of production completely in 1981. Just as in the CJ-5, the V6 and V8 engine choices appeared in 1965 and 1972. Former President Ronald Reagan owned a CJ-6 and used it on his California Ranch.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool. i just really havent heard anything about them. has anyone here built/owned one at any point in their lives?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently own a CJ6,

bought it 2 months ago and currently doing a frame up resto on it.
    The body if in good condition alone makes it a good deal.

here is an example of things you have to think about, a shooping list if you will if you have to buy anything for it:

for starters it is a unique ride like miljeep stated so it makes it harder to find parts for, now not impossible and if you are gonna restore than $$ will most likely go to fabn or new purchases. Here you go

New tub if yours is bad around $3,250.00
    kit from 4WD for all your bolts new and not rusted coroded and dead 413 peices $115.00
    new speedo/ fuel/ temp guage around $120.00
    Grinding wheels, cutting wheels, sand paper, primer, steel to replace anything to cut, a whelder or a buddy with one, paint ( your choice of painting method), parts for the axles, Brakes, radiator, engine overhaul??..........

I have been working on mine of and one for a while in the last 2 months but have friends/ family who have helped and I can tell you if you do not know how to restore it it will take a long time, you will eat up your garage til it is done and like I said the biggest head ache is the lack of parts specific for the 6, for CJ 5,7,8 scrambler you canfind things all day. The CJ6 harder.

mine is on the post fotos of your jeep link, under (New Project), haven't updated pics in a while, but I will tell you the jeep is going to be restored to original with upgrades, beffier axles, 35" tires, and an AMC 360/401 with a TH400. Inside will be as original as I can.

If you need some help PM me and i will be glad to help out.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks EXTRM-TJ. that actually helps a lot. i want something thats a little more rare then the rest. it would be a LONG term project anyway. i've never done restore work before but i have plenty of friends that have that would be more than willing to help. i hope haha. anyway, i appreciate the shopping list and info. any more info out there is more than welcome.