User Tag List

Thread: Jeep Error Code P0339 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeep Error Code P0339 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent

Yesterday I was driving home from picking up some tires for the trailer about an hour away from our house and about 5 miles from the house I was stopped at a stoplight. The light turned green and I pressed the gas and it lurched forward a little, then lost power, then lurched forward again, the lost power. Eventually as I got more speed, it smoothed out, but then I had to get my ID checked at the gate, and had numerous stop lights enroute to my house. The check engine light turned on and I tried to fight to get home. Eventually, the check engine light started flashing as I was closer to my house, so I tried like heck to get it home only a couple of hundred yards away.

I parked the jeep, shot out some requests for information and checked the error code by turning the key three times until it popped up on the dash. The code I got was P0339, which turned out to be "Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent".

Having no idea what that was, I turned to the internet for more information and could not find anything for a 2006 Wrangler with an automatic transmission. Later that night, Kevin from the Belvoir Auto Shop passed by my house on his way home and stopped to chat, I told him about the deadlined jeep and told him the error code and what it said it was. He described my problem perfect and we crawled under the jeep with a flashlight so he could show me where the sensor is located.

For the record, and for anyone that has this problem, the sensor on an 06 Wrangler, 4.0 liter V6 with an automatic transmission is... towards the front of the oil pan on the passenger side right next to the exhaust pipe. When you look for it, it has a red clip on it and one 10 mm bolt holding it in with a harness connected to it.

I checked every local auto parts and nobody seemed to have the part I needed in stock. They did say that the part was about $110 dollars. I broke down and called a dealer, something that I had tried to avoid to save a few bucks. The dealer had one in stock for $139. We are moving to Texas Saturday, so I could not wait for a part to be ordered and bought one from the dealer.

So I crawled under the jeep tonight and armed with a gerber, a 10mm socket and a flashlight, I went to work.

First I disconnected the battery, then I removed the 10mm bolt holding the sensor in and pulled the sensor out to make it easier for me to mess with the harness to try to get it removed from the sensor. This would probably be a 10 minute or less job if I had done this before, but this was the first time, so it took a while longer.

There is a red clip that slides through the wiring harness attached to the sensor. You need to slide this clip out about 1/4 inch in order to make it so the sensor will be able to pull out. I used the leather punch from the gerber and some dental picks that I grabbed after wrestling with this clib for about 15 minutes, to help push it through the harness and out the other side a little.

Next I had to either push down or pull up on a black clip on the back of the harness. I could not tell if you have to push down or pull up, so eventually the little black clip snapped off.

I inserted the new sensor and secure it by sliding the red clip back into the harness. Then I put the sensor with the harness attached back in it's place, inserted the 10mm bolt and then reconnected the battery and took the jeep for a test drive. The jeep ran great.

I kept the sensor and can get pics sometime to throw up incase anyone needs to see it, but the camera was at the hotel with my wife, so no pics.

Hopefully this post helps someone else out that may be in the same situation I was in this week.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan, did it fix the problem?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I just wanted to post something incase anyone else had the same issue. I was lost and could not find anything good about the problem on the internet. I will post a photo of the part when I get some time, but we are one day out from leaving the DC area, so we are pretty busy right now.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected, it is not 100% I will work on this when we get to TX in a few days. It is getting trailered down anyway.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan - Is it fix now? I saw in another post where you mentioned it might be under warranty? That would be good thing... Let use know the out come...

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 98 with 4.0, and auto does this every now and then, but more so on the highway, going 45-65mph. It seems like hitting bumps causes it to drop down a gear and has the power loss like you say. I'm going to check to see if it is pulling any codes tomorrow.
    -Brian
    98 Green TJ Sahara