1994 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Huachuca
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default JKU 3rd row seat safety addition

With having four kiddos and the JKU only seating five, the addition of a 3rd row seat became important to me. I've tried finding a JK rear seat for a reasonable price or generally close to me, but it just never worked out. (It is something I still want to do if I find the right deal, simply due to fitment.)

I found the dimensions of this seat, measured the JKU and liked the amazon.com price. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I was at it, I needed seat belts and got these. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The seat rear floor latch won't work with the JKU storage, so I bolted the seat belts to the floor after mounting the seat. There isn't a lot of legroom, but the spread in age of my kids should keep the littlest ones not in a car seat back there. They love it!

Front mounting brackets

Seat belt mounts

Legroom

Admittedly, I did more driving like that than I liked without added roll cage protection. Since I'm diving into to so many DIY welding projects, I considered making my own addition until I found the Rock Hard 4x4 3rd Row Accessory Bar. http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1032.htm

Big props to Jason at RH4x4 for all his help. I freaked a little when the bar didn't just sit on my stock cage perfectly. We talked on the phone to resolve my concerns. Jason can confirm this, but they build their parts from Chrysler's specs and the cage is supposed to be nearly square, top to bottom. Mine is not, never been wrecked or rolled. To be clear, I am not bashing RH4x4 at all. This is just informational for anyone else considering this. I'm quite pleased with the end result and Jason's excellent customer service! Thanks again Jason!

Actual measurements of my Jeep...

And RH4x4 measurements...

Since the bottom was dead on I started from there and worked my way up. Using a dead blow hammer I hit and tapped until the top collars sat squarely on the stock cage and then level too. I eye-balled it a lot from the front and did a lot of measuring.

Here's how it sat on the stock cage at first...

Pass side top

Driver's side top

And bolted in!

The inside measurement from floor to inside of the hard top was 41 1/4" so I was shooting for 40" on the additional bar. This way if I bolt lights or other things on there later I have room to work with.

I am going to pull it back off to bedline it when I coat another project in the near future. I will also make some cuts in the roll bar padding so it can still be zipped up. Right now I'm using four black boot bands. Since a readily available sunshade isn't made for the extended cage, I started making one myself. I'll post more pics when that is done.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is excellent. I did this conversion a couple of years ago and I like the roll bar extension.
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...stalled-in-JKU

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Huachuca
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did see yours some time back and really like it. I may change over to a similar setup for a better fit/use of the cargo area.

The extra cage section was under $300 with free shipping due to calling in the order. It's a great peace of mind.