1994 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Steering dampners??

I am looking at replacing the stock steering dampner. Now I have the Old Man Emu shocks, I looked for a dampner from them and they run around $80. I also have an RE lift so I took a look theirs and they run a little cheaper. Out of those two is anyone running those.
    Or who is running what brand or which brand do I need to stay away from.

Thanks!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know mine's a lil different cuz' of the model, but...
    On my 85 CJ7 I have a 2.5" Superlift and the Black Diamond dampener...

no probs...
    Getting my morning coffee at the mud truck. Don't ever talk to me until I've had my morning coffee. Seriously, don't. I'm venomous. @BronxZooCobra.

usnavymitchells

I had a severe side to side take the steering wheel out of your hand problem. My local mechanic put on a Monroe Trailbuster Dampner (did not have time to shop for a better one due to daily driver req't). That problem has been solved and it seems okay. Ran me $83 which I am certain included gargage mark up.

I would contact Rob @ Mountain Valley Customs (crazy4ink) and ask what he would recommend as an added input.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thread...keep us posted. I need to get one of these too. It's either a steering damper or upgrade my whole steering set up. With only running 33's right now, I can't see spending the money on a whole new steering set up, but it would be good for the 37's I want to put underneath...eventually. The steering damper would definitely solve my problem right now for a little less $$$
    2007 JK 4-Door
    2.5" Skyjacker Suspension
    33X12.50 Interco MT
    Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper (Shorty)
    Warn Winch
    Rugged Ridge Mirror Movers
    KC Hi Lights w/ windshield mounts
    Cobra 19 CB
    GPS
    Hi Lift Jack
    Slush Mats (Carpet gone)

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember folks...the dampener WILL NOT correct problems causing the DW...only hide it from being felt for a short time. The underlying problem is still there DESPITE the dampener. Fix the problem, not the symptom. Get the steering dialed in with the proper pinion angles, castor, and nice-tight bushings and ball joints all around with a good alignment...THEN when it tracks straight and narrow with no DW you can put on a new stabilizer. Don't use a stabilizer/dampener to temporarily mask the underlying problem. If you do, it will only allow the problem to grow in severity and do more damage. Just my $0.02, but any reputable shop or good mechanic will agree and tell you exactly the same thing. If a shop/mechanic tells you that a new stabilizer will get rid of DW, find another shop/mechanic as the one you have doesn't know shit about steering.

PS> Confirm with Rob/Damien at Mt Valley (Crazy4Ink).
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by USMCHarleyJeepGuy View Post
    Remember folks...the dampener WILL NOT correct problems causing the DW...only hide it from being felt for a short time. The underlying problem is still there DESPITE the dampener. Fix the problem, not the symptom. Get the steering dialed in with the proper pinion angles, castor, and nice-tight bushings and ball joints all around with a good alignment...THEN when it tracks straight and narrow with no DW you can put on a new stabilizer. Don't use a stabilizer/dampener to temporarily mask the underlying problem. If you do, it will only allow the problem to grow in severity and do more damage. Just my $0.02, but any reputable shop or good mechanic will agree and tell you exactly the same thing. If a shop/mechanic tells you that a new stabilizer will get rid of DW, find another shop/mechanic as the one you have doesn't know shit about steering.

PS> Confirm with Rob/Damien at Mt Valley (Crazy4Ink).
    Absolutely correct. In my case it has been a process of elimination. 1st thing was to check alignment and check for obviously worn parts. Alignment was out by 1 degree both sides everything else was okay except for the sway bars. The Sway bars would not have caused the original problem. Steering still didn't feel right but the original problem was corrected. Now it is sway bar time. Rob at MVC is putting in teraFlex Quick Disconnects either this weekend or next depending on when he can get the part.

Now for the important info:
    I put a 2" BB and a 1" BL on a Jeep that had over 95K miles. Anything in the front end/Steering system that was worn but fine for stock is now reacting to the overall change in angles / dymanics. Problems like this are to be expected but are not alway obvious. So work in a logical sequence unless the problem is easily identified.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming that you are just replacing it because it's old and worn, I can tell you I have the Superlift steering stabilizer. It's a little less expensive than the OME and RE ones, and I've had no problems with it.
    2001 Yellow TJ

Installed: | Viking Fastback Top | Neoprene Seat Covers | Black Rollbar Handles| Repainted Fender Flares and Rollbar Padding | 2.5" Suspension Lift | Superlift Steering Stabilizer | 1.25" JKS BL | 1" MML | Advance Adapters Transfer Case Bracket | 15x8 Rock Crawler Series 97 Wheels | 33" Kumho Road Venture MT's |

Coming Soon:
    | Re-Gear/Super 35 Kit | New Bumpers |

CH-47 CHINOOK
    If you ain't a Hooker...You're doin' it for FREE!!!

www.TBAJA.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just used a stock replacement from Napa or somewhere like it. 30 or so bucks, works fine. That way I'm not covering problems up with awesome dampeners. If only I could cover up my front pinion problem...hmm....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    I've just used a stock replacement from Napa or somewhere like it. 30 or so bucks, works fine. That way I'm not covering problems up with awesome dampeners. If only I could cover up my front pinion problem...hmm....

BFH maybe?
    Getting my morning coffee at the mud truck. Don't ever talk to me until I've had my morning coffee. Seriously, don't. I'm venomous. @BronxZooCobra.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I replaced mine with a Rancho from Advance for like $50. Havent had any problems with it.