1989 to 2012

Closest Installation

NSA Orlando
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do things need to be so difficult

Rear main seal has been leaking for awhile, so me and my son decided to replace it. While dropping the transmission we noticed a small crack in the bell housing at the lower starter bolt. Well of course it couldn't have been just that...

So now what?? I could get it welded, but I didn't see any damage that would have caused it, so could there be any other structural flaws or should I just get a new bell housing? Leary about going to a junk yard and getting used?

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bless those who serve beneath the deep, through lonely hours their vigi keep.
    May peace their mission ever be,
    Protect each one we ask of thee.
    Bless those at home who wait and pray, for their return by night or day.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ETSubchief View Post
    So now what?? I could get it welded, but I didn't see any damage that would have caused it, so could there be any other structural flaws or should I just get a new bell housing? Leary about going to a junk yard and getting used?

Thoughts?
    Welding will work if you can find someone that can weld aluminum good. Also, nothing wrong with finding a used one. Here in the Springs, there are no junkyards that have Jeep parts except for FNJeep. Thomas (the owner) buys up all the used Wrangler parts as soon as they're available. He is sometimes hard to deal with, but he'll have the part. Denver or online may be an option for you. My concern is why it cracked there. Has the trans been out before? Was it not seated squarely against the block? Good luck.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1989 to 2012

Closest Installation

NSA Orlando
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, thats what I was thinking too. WHY??HOW?
    It was removed a 2 years ago to replace the clutch. WHen I was in FL I had a dealership do it, but after dealing with them and all the headaches I had getting her back, defienlty think they screwed something up. Originally when I got it back from them and took it for a test drive the service manager when with me. The clutch didn't have any pressure to it and would barely shift gears. I mentioned it to him and he said "well, I cant tell you how its supposed to feel. I drive race cars and they don't have any pressure". Really?? You are a service manager.
    They said originally it would take 2 weeks. It took 5. They kept coming up with excuses.
    My son, who is now a master mechanic for Kia, dropped it this time for me and he noticed ALOT of things not quite right. He noticed the crack at the bottom and mentioned it to me. Once we actually removed the tranny, the hole piece just fell off.

Been looking for a good place to get it welded, and reached out to FN Jeep, but they are closed due to the pandemic. even sent an email last week hoping he would respond, but nohting yet.

Looking at mulitple routes, new / used / welded, but unfortunatly, all must wait till I get some extra cash. Luckly we have a 2nd car and my wife (who just had back surgery) just started working from home.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whay engine and tranny? I have a couple here still I think.

Had an inline 4 to SR4/T4/T5 and a 4.2 to AX5

I'll have to look, gave away a lot of Jeep stuff when i ot divorced and had to move.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1989 to 2012

Closest Installation

NSA Orlando
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    whay engine and tranny? I have a couple here still I think.

Had an inline 4 to SR4/T4/T5 and a 4.2 to AX5

I'll have to look, gave away a lot of Jeep stuff when i ot divorced and had to move.
    Its the 4.0 with the NSG 370 6 speed manual

preciate the look see

come to find out, I cant get a new bellhousing. The front is an integral part of the tranny itself, so I would have to get a new one, only $1600.00

Nothing used around here, so just need to find a decent aluminum welder and SOON!! Weather is turning nice again