Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help with rear locker

Had Auburn Ecteds installed this past fall (97 TJ). Now it seems whenever I turn a corner, especially if not in gear, it sounds like a bowling ball sliding back and forth- usually ends with a jolt in the rear. Jeep driving fine, locker was professionally installed. Could the limited slip of the locker actually be spinning around and then catching as I turn a corner? I have not had it offroad other then the beaches and it seems to lock right up when I activate it. Anyone?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw your post, and I really can't help you. However, thought I'd let you know that 2 weeks ago, our unit here at work was down for repairs and cleaning. We had outside folks helping with the work. 5 people owned Jeeps, and all of them wanted the spare tire cover I purchased from you. One young man had been a Scout Sniper in the Marines. He really liked the cover. I had to keep an eye on it, to keep it from growing legs and taking off,,,,

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, man I miss that cover. It really stood out, especially stopped at traffic lights. Maybe I'll keep searching around, somebody, for some amount of money, will be able to make me one.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been googling and reading up on common problems with it and among options I'm reading the predominate issue seems to be wear and tear on the clutch packs. The limited slip uses said clutch packs as well as the locker, so perhaps they're having wear and tear issues. However, it would also seem that if the clutch packs wore down it would have trouble engaging, no randomly engaging. Do you accelerate through the corners?

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I accelerate through the corners it does not seem to happen. Seems to happen more after driving for a while. Although, yesterday it happened pulling out of a parking spot. Locker is only 3 months old and never engaged and driven offroad. Could the unit itself "slide", because it actually sounds like a bowling ball rolling to one side and then slamming to the side.... enough so you can feel the back end get jolted to the side.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take it straight back to the installers. Sounds really bad

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to call them tomorrow, hopefully they can open up the diff after I get out off work. Thanks for your help. Semper Fi.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was trying to find something more specific to YOUR problem, but to no avail. let us know what they say?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always had air lockers but I have heard something simular to your sounds as part of a limited slip issue. If you haven't taken it off road yet, you may find when you do that this is "normal". Maybe during the turns, when the wheels are traveling at different rates, the lockers think there is a slip and are engaging?

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, that sucks because most people think I drive like a little old lady. My days of high speed, low drag are long gone (even though I'll be 43 next week). I have one of the best 4x4 shops in CT picking my Jeep up in the morning, all they basically do are Jeeps, lockers, lifts, etc. I will let every one know the outcome. As a bonus, if it really is the limited slip engaging on corners, there is going to be a pretty new ECTED unit for sale for very cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast