1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You cannot ride with your doors off in PA

I was hanging around the PA Jeeps site and noticed a post that mentioned that it is not legal to ride around with the doors off your jeep unless it was manufactured without doors. Supposedly their was a model jeep, an early CJ I think, that had doors listed as a standard option, so they are good when it comes to riding doorless.

Here is the original post from the PA Jeeps site.

I just thought this was interesting, because it may be on the books in other states also, but rarely enforced.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the sounds of it, PA is anti Jeep! I don't get it, here I drive around in the sumer with no doors and the windshield folded down. As long as I have a driver side mirror and eye protection if the widshield's down, I'm good to go!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the local cops would hang out the main entrance to paragon and pull you over if your tires stuck outside your fender flares. When I went to camp jeep there a few years ago I passed a row of 6 jeeps pulled over just outside the main entrance. It seems we are a major sorce of revenue for them. Oh for you people out of our area, these happinings are all in PA!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note to self: Don't move to PA.
    "I rather be a rightwing nutjob than a left wing liberal with no nuts and no job"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vajeeper View Post
    Note to self: Don't move to PA.
    Don't move to, visit, wheel or drive through PA, unless you're driving a Liberty!!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are pushing to change it, but it make you wonder about other states and their laws. I always hear about the bumper height laws, but this is the first I had heard about being illegal to now have doors.

In a way, I understand why they do it. They don't need someone like my wife in her VW rolling around with no doors. On the other hand, they should make an exception to the rule if the vehicle is made to have the doors removed. I guess SEMA is working on pushing stuff forward to get the law changed, but who knows when that will happen.

Unfortunately, someone got nabbed by the po po, but at least it was somsone with connections in the offroad world because he owns skid row, so maybe he will have some more power by calling in some favors to help get this law changed.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cruise around a lot in the summer without doors and never had a problem. Most local cops donít care about such petty crap, I know a lot of cops and honestly most donít even know much about it. But I have heard you gotta look out for the state police for some reason they got a bug in their ass.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 02tj View Post
    the local cops would hang out the main entrance to paragon and pull you over if your tires stuck outside your fender flares. When I went to camp jeep there a few years ago I passed a row of 6 jeeps pulled over just outside the main entrance. It seems we are a major sorce of revenue for them. Oh for you people out of our area, these happinings are all in PA!
    So they can ticket you for doors and tire clearance even if your Jeep is registered in another state?
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    So they can ticket you for doors and tire clearance even if your Jeep is registered in another state?
    I would say so. As an MP in Texas, I was able to cite anyone for any Texas Code, no matter where they were registered. I am sure it is the same in each state. By driving on the state's roads, you are probably obligated to follow their traffic laws.

I never ran into any problems issuing a ticket o anyone because of where there vehicle was registered, but then again I never picked on those missing jeeps doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vehicle has to abide by the laws where it is registered they can stop and ticket you for it. Most peole pay it cause of the hassle to go back and fight a hundred dollar ticket. However if you fight it you will win, driving on other states roads in no way makes your car have to abide by there rules. If that were the case no one would be able to drive into Cali or NY because of the emmisions laws.
    2006 Unlimited

I will not Tiptoe through life only to arrive safely to my death, with no scars or stories to tell. I will enter Hell sideways in a Burning pile of rubble, with a smile on my face asking if I can do it again !???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast