Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When Automatic Pump Shut Off Is Engaged, Gas Overflows

It used to only happen once in a while, but now it's rare when it doesn't happen. Whenever I fill up the Jeep, the automatic pump shut off will engage, but not without a decent amount of gas overflowing first. With gas prices down, it's not too upsetting...more of a pain in the @$$. Anyone else experience this?
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

usnavymitchells

Is it at the same station or different ones? I have had it happen occassionally but not the norm. And I have to fill up every 2-3 days.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ouch...luckily I've only been driving to different train stations lately...so I've been saving at the pump. but, it's been at all different stations...to include up and down I-95 all the way from VA to GA
    "People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf" - George Orwell

"There Is No Hunting Like The Hunting Of Man, And Those Who Have Hunted Armed Men Long Enough And Liked It, Never Care For Anything Else Thereafter" - Ernest Hemingway

2005 TJ Sport > > > OME 2.5" Suspension Lift, JKS Front & Rear Adjustable Track Bars, JKS 1.25" BL / M.O.R.E. 1" MML

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's happening at different pumps, it could be a clogged/pinched vent tube. (the small one alongside the filler hose)

Or it could be tank design, pumping to fast creates an air bubble, when it's full it "burps", shutting of the pump, but also sloshing some fuel out.

I know on my CJ I can't fill it with the pump locked on high, usually it's on the first notch, otherwise it 'burps'

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM ryan. I believe he used to have this problem.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    PM ryan. I believe he used to have this problem.
    Still do. It is more embarrassing than anything else. It does not matter what pump I go to, I have to bend over and listen for when it sounds like the tank is almost full, then when I think I am getting close I just put little bits of gas in at a time until I think it is full.

I am not sure what the issue is, but it has been happening for about 18 months or so.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

odd...I wonder what causes it, because it never used to happen.