1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why did you get a Jeep?

I tried searching but didn't seem to find anything, if there is sorry.

Why did you get a Jeep? What brought you to the off roading world?

I got my rig when my Sister found it wasn't practicle with no job in sunny FL., so I was able to buy it off of her. She bought it,new, cause some A-hole in Philly wanted to commit suicide and walked in front of her Nissan.

I've had it for the past 5 years and only started to do the mods about 2 years ago. It all started when I took the doors off and realized I needed to mount the mirrors to make it street legal. Found a guy that introduced me to NJJA, New Jersey Jeep Association, and have been with them since Aug of '07. That's when the real addiction started.

I prefer the rocks over mud, mainly cause if I break something on the rocks I know right there. Mud might take a few weeks to show it's ugly head, and then you could really be F'ed.

BTW, mine is my wife's DD, I wheel it on the weekends.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved them since I was little. Rode in an old Willys, I was hooked!

Picked up my CJ after coming back from the 'sandbox' in '97. It was a literal basket case! The mods started right then, as I had to put it back together from scratch. The PO had disassembled it, planning a complete resto.

Now, 7 Jeeps later, I still have the '80 CJ, my '99 XJ (DD/Family wheeler) and gave my oldest boy the '93 ZJ (stock) for getting around to work/college.

I was into mudding trucks, but, like you, I now prefer rocks.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realized after spending my first winter in Colorado that I was going to need a 4wd. It had to be American and it had to have solid axles. During my first deployment I decided to buy a Wrangler when I got back but couldn't decide to wait a little bit and buy a JK or get a TJ right then and there. Being a traditionalist, I eventually decided on an inline six and real metal fenders (and also because the aftermarket was already teeming with upgrades). In the space of a year and a half, I spent about 10K on mods. My wife and kids love it and we go up into the front range all the time. I'm over here again but will be back soon. I'm planning more upgrades (eventually a Full Traction 6" LA and 36s), but I just bought a house so I'm pinching pennies right now. So, short answer as to why: Rovers and Cruisers are nice, but you just can't beat good ol' American iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to Present

Closest Installation

The Pentagon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always loved Jeeps. Liked Land Rovers as well, very fond memories of watching Daktari on TV when I was a kid. Spent many a day playing in the backyard with my Tonka Jeep P'up Truck imagining I was driving across the Serengetti.

When I was in college, one of my buds had a CJ5 but hated driving it, so I got to drive it all the time. It was one of the fixtures at pep rallies as we flew our Dorm's flag from the Jeep. My best friend had a '79 CJ7 in college and we had great adventures in that rig as well.

I had always wanted my own Jeep but the timing never worked out. Then I got assigned to a less than desirable job and I was able to use that as "justification" to my wife to get a Jeep to console me. Well, that and the fact our family grew to 4 which exceeded the seats in my p'up. Bought my '84 CJ7 in '96 and have kept it mostly stock. Only major upgrades, so far, are stainless steel brake lines and 1-piece rear axles. It's my daily driver and will be for quite some time, don't see me parting with it.
    Russ
    1984 CJ-7
    “When you're swervin' on life's highway, you're runnin' someone off the road."
    -- Robert Earl Keen

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in brooklyn NY. I drove a hmmwv before I ever got my liscense. I've owned 2 cars and when I got my first jeep (02GC) I was hooked. I would never allow a little bit of dirt to get in my way again. Besides...owning a YJ allows you the distinct advantage of knowing your jeep inside and out in less than a year.
    For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines and we win battles.
    —Gen Charles C. Krulak, 31st CMC, 5 May 1997

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even since i saw the movie goonies i was hooked on cherokees... just something about them that i loved...

i finally picked one up back in april and loved the idea of being able to build up a "family" machine with everything and still be able to wheel right along side with open top jeeps...

now im hooked, im thinking of trading in my DD car for a JK Rubi... and the sad part is, my DD isnt even my DD anymore since ive put the lift on the XJ. my gf drives the car more than i do

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing up, a lot of my friends had Jeeps. I always had a lifted pickup but always wanted a Jeep. Now that I have one, I regret missing all those years!

While I was in the service and stationed in Korea, I bought my first Jeep through Military Car Sales. Then we got my wife a KJ. Then we got her a TJ and now she drives an XJ. In that time, we've also acquired a '46 CJ2a, another '46 CJ2a chassis, '63 Willy CJ5, '63 Willys CJ5, a '62 FC-150, and a '96 (I think) ZJ for parts/beating.

I'm quickly finding out how contagious Jeeps are!
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There a few vehicles I've always wanted, the first desired vehicle was a 1988 Suburban. The thing was like a cave on wheels after driving small cars for over 6 years. It was real nice, had the Outdoorsman package which included running boards, brush guard, off-road lights fore and aft, rear ladder, spare tire on rear door, raised fiberglass luggage (canoe) rack, winch, but didn't have a lift kit. Took that thing places I've never been, but I kept dragging the tow hitch.

I replace that another vehicle I've always wanted, a 1995 black Yukon GT. I got a great deal and after driving that for over 150K miles, which put the mileage at 265K, I better trade it in for another desirable. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but I wanted to go to Arches National Park and Canyonlands. I heard there is the little area out there called Moab. Heard the thing to drive there is a Jeep, and well I've always wanted one. Traded the Yukon for a '03 Wrangler X. Didn't know what I wanted in a Jeep except it had to be a stick, hardtop and softtop, and cruise control. Had the two tops and was a stick but didn't have cruise. Drove that thing out to Moab stock and after the first trail, we were hooked. As soon as we got back I found all the cool things to upgrade and discovered a real Jeep is always underway to bigger and better things.

I still have other desirable vehicles, but there will always be a Jeep in our driveway.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Dad told me when I was 5 that they were the closest modern vehicle that is like a hot rod because of all the modifications you could do with it. Then bro brother got an XJ when I was 14 and I would ride along while we went off roading. When I was 15 I had enough money and purchased a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport. And from then on I was in love.
    1997 TJ - Comp Rig
    1998 XJ - Beater house car
    1929 Ford Tudor
    1953 Chevy Bel Air - Current Project

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just a glutton for punishment!!!
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast