User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front end violently shaking

usnavymitchells

Default Front end violently shaking

Okay, I have replaced the dampner, sway bar end links. Had a front end alignments and wheels balanced. When I am accelerating between 50 and 53 MPH if I hit even a small bump the front end starts a violent shaking to where I must hard brake to stop it. Sometimes I have even had to bring it all the way down to zero MPH to stop the front end shaking. Anyone else have or had this problem. I have read a few articles that Jeeps had a dampner issue and it was called the "Dance of Death"

Asking for serious help on this one. mrs usnavymitchells was in the Jeep yesterday and it happened with her in there, she won't ride in the Jeep anymore until I get it resloved.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death wobble...there are SEVERAL threads on it on most every jeep site on the planet. Start checking EVERYTHING on the front end to ensure it is tight...also check your wheels to see if you threw a large quantity of weight off of it. If everything is tight and the wheels are still in balance, I'll type more later. Be patient and find the problem though...don't just mask it with a new stabilizer. Begin checking torque values on everything on the front suspension as a starting point Dave...control arms, track bar, EVERYTHING!!!
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave, I think the issue is your steering geometery. I have been trying to figure out why, with us only putting a budget boost in, would your steering go crazy. It just dawned on me that we did your budget boost in conjunction with Rubicon springs. Rubi springs are taller than standard TJ springs. Add their taller height to the budget boost pucks and you are actually about 3.25"s taller than stock. With TJs, anytime you go taller than 3"s, you need to change your pitman arm. I think that if we got you a drop pitman arm, your steering "death wobble" will stop.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

From Bell Co., KY stationed at Ft. Benning

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting thread. Although it isnt my Jeep this same thing just happened in the tow rig less than a month ago. Went over RR tracks and heard SNAP then it was literally bouncing like a jumpin bean. I just knew I was headed for death. Can you just picture a Dodge 2500 doin this? Scared the sheet outta me. I ordered the parts through Moog and replaced but it still gives me a wobble. I am scrounging the Dodge forums looking for answers.

"Neither current events nor history show that the majority rule, or ever did rule." CSA President Jefferson Davis

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ink View Post
    Dave, I think the issue is your steering geometery. I have been trying to figure out why, with us only putting a budget boost in, would your steering go crazy. It just dawned on me that we did your budget boost in conjunction with Rubicon springs. Rubi springs are taller than standard TJ springs. Add their taller height to the budget boost pucks and you are actually about 3.25"s taller than stock. With TJs, anytime you go taller than 3"s, you need to change your pitman arm. I think that if we got you a drop pitman arm, your steering "death wobble" will stop.
    Rob,

Any suggestions as to a good replacement pitman. I also want to replace the front trac bar. It has a slight tweek in it from a deer a couple of years back. Let me know.

Dave

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can get you a drop pitman arm and have it drop shipped to you. I can do the same thing with an adjustable front trackbar. I can have both things shipped here to the shop also. Your call. Let me know when you are ready and I will get them ordered.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death Wobble: That experience that leaves chunks of seat cushion where the sun don't shine!

Seriously, as mentioned, check/double check everything!

This is very common on lifted rigs, two things that I find are usually responsable, are the track bar (coil sprung rigs) and/or bad shocks.

Steering geometry is up there also.

Bad unit bearing, tire(s) out of balance, bad ball joints can all add to it.

A new steering damper will just mask serious problems.

Sounds like crazy has it, especially if this started after the lift was installed.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trac bar is the first item of the list. Irregular tire wear tends to set things into motion and induce DW. Also I have seen the control arm bushings a big factor in this. The first time I experienced this was back in 92, in a friends 89 Z-71 with a 6" Superlift and 38's. We looked at everything and it looked fine, there is no trac bar on the IFS front. I found that later Superlift IFS kits included poly lower contorl arm bushings. Wonder why? We installed the poly bushings and that tighted things up and it went away.
    I am having the same issues with my XJ periodicly I am replacing the stock worn suspension with a 4" susp that includes trac bar and upper and lower arms. I'm noping everything new will cure it. Also if you have upper and lower arms remember that most kits do not include the bushings that are in the upper mounts on the differential everything else new and the to worn out rubber bushings there will induce DW.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

usnavymitchells

Sounds like I need to park it until I can afford all this crap I need to have someone look at/replace. I am not mechanically inclined. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to actually pick up a wrench. Can't afford it right now.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    Sounds like I need to park it until I can afford all this crap I need to have someone look at/replace. I am not mechanically inclined. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to actually pick up a wrench. Can't afford it right now.
    If you aren't mechanically inclined, take it to Rob and Damian.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast