1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TJ Hemi swap

Lookin to do a swap from the 4.0 I6 to a 5.7 hemi so the question is do I need to change tranny and tcase and what all is involved in redoing the wiring harness. Lastly, any recommendations on an order spot/distrib. (online) for the hemi? I dont want a PAP. I want new. Thanks
    "Neither current events nor history show that the majority rule, or ever did rule." CSA President Jefferson Davis

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

NAS Whidbey Island
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You watched xtreme 4x4 eh? Yes change the t-case and tranny when you do it, or when they blow up. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    '93 4.0L YJ Becky
    SOA | 2.5" OME | 8.8 | 4.88 | Yukon Zip/ARB | 33" TRXus M/Ts | Warn M8000 | Herculined | OBA
    _|_
    --X-X-(_)-X-X--
    <->
    Some guys like them fat, others like them ugly; I prefer BOTH!!![left up for truth]

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    If it's sober, I'm not interested.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a number of places online to check with:
    - www.advanceadapters.com
    - www.teraflex.biz
    There is another company, Hot Wirez I think, that offers a plug and play wiring harness for a Hemi in a TJ.

Those top 2 places I would check with first. They have been doing Hemi swaps for a while now. They will have the motor mounts, wiring harnesses and also be able to tell you what (if anything) are required of your tranny and t-case.

As far as an engine, there are a couple of places that you can source a new engine. IMO, there is nothing wrong with an Ebay engine or a Pick and Pull, as long as you can hear the engine run prior to removal. You will spend a lot of extra money on a new crate engine when a used one can be just as good. Also, a lot of times, when you buy a 5.7 Hemi on Ebay, the seller will include the ECM and ECM to engine wiring harness.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

From Bell Co., KY stationed at Ft. Benning

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent points. Thanks for the headsup. Ebaying now. Im always afraid of PAP because these guys around here offer no warranty.
    Last edited by MYOTHERTANKISAJEEP; 12-29-2008 at 23:09.
    "Neither current events nor history show that the majority rule, or ever did rule." CSA President Jefferson Davis

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also call Burnsville Offroad.

They specialize in turnkey V8 engine swaps for Wranglers, but I believe they sell parts for do it yourself as well.

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/default.aspx
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

From Bell Co., KY stationed at Ft. Benning

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinSoldier View Post
    I would also call Burnsville Offroad.

They specialize in turnkey V8 engine swaps for Wranglers, but I believe they sell parts for do it yourself as well.

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/default.aspx
    Have checked them out before. Thanks though.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you still going through with the Hemi swap? If so, did you get the engine yet?

Reason I ask is because I have a 5.7L V8 Hemi with 4,000 miles on it. I also have a tranny. I bought the wiring harness and brand new headers as well. It was going to go into the WFTW Jeep, but there just isn't enough time to get it all done.

The engine and tranny are both in great shape. If you've seen the WFTW Jeep, then you know I do things right and wouldn't skimp on anything being put on/in that Jeep.

At any rate, I'm selling the Hemi and tranny, both of which are a short drive away from you in Jacksonville, Florida. If you want them, I'll let them go for $2,500, which is what I paid (got a GREAT deal from a local shop where the guy is a friend of a friend).

I'll take cash, cashier's check, money order, or if you want to put it on a debit or credit card then you can pay via PayPal.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you go chevy 350 you only need an adapter plate sold at 4wd.com
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would jump all over that Hemi offer if I had the extra cash laying around. IMO the 5.7 is just right for a TJ, 6.1 is just overkill and defintely requires about $10,000 of other parts to make practical. Sure, SB Chevy 350 that is fuel injected, otherwise it will be a waste of time. (Like a vette engine) That is a good deal on the Hemi if you are looking...

Will
    2006 Rubicon, FT 6" Long Arm, Swayloc DR swaybar, CV rear Driveshaft, JKS 1.25" Body, 1" motor mount lift, ARB Dif covers,...etc.
    2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport package, 4.7 V8, Navigation System, Locking rear, X-REAS suspension
    1:6 Nylint Jeep rockcrawler
    (2) 1:18 Nylint Jeep Rockcrawlers (Daughters!)
    http://www.rokmen.com/banners/rokmen_sig.JPG

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As stated before definatley check out the Xtreme 4x4 episode where they did this swap on a "wrecked" TJ the swap works out BEAUTIFULY but there are a couple of odd end and they cover it VERY well. You can find the epidode easily on Itunes and it's only 2 bucks. Pretty cheap to get a rough idea of what you're getting into. But def keep me posted!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast