Served
    Served
    1987 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bummer

My "03 TJ developed a squeak a couple weeks ago and it progressively got worse. I dropped it at the Jeep dealership Thursday and they said they were booked up till Tuesday but they'll try to get to it. Surprisingly I got a call Friday and the outcome was that my extended warranty expired when the odometer reached 75K, not an additional 75K after I bought the warranty. Well, I had 19 hours of overtime I hadn't spent yet so I wasn't too worried, I was thinking it was just the pinion bearing on the front diff. I was correct but they found the front prop. shaft needed replaced and the driver-side hub is loose, total damage = $999. There goes all that OT. And the best part of the deal, the front prop shaft is 3 weeks on backorder.

What the heck is a front prop. shaft? And why would it be on backorder?

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what front axle do you have? what year? gear ratio?
    05 Unlimited, RE 4.5, 4.5 springs, adjustable front and rear track bar, 33x12.5 MT Baja Claw Radial, 15x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.88's, Tom Woods rear cv and sye kit superwinch, RRC front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier, rocker guards, home made 1.5 seat risers

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drive train is stock, dana 30's.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm spit-balling here, but I think that the dealership is calling either an axle shaft or your pinion gear your prop shaft. There is a prop shaft in your tranny, but they wouldn't have found that by looking at your front axle. The total price seems a little high to me. If you are mechanically inclined and can do the work yourself, I will do what I can as far as hooking you up with parts at a better price.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pankake View Post
    My "03 TJ developed a squeak a couple weeks ago and it progressively got worse. I dropped it at the Jeep dealership Thursday and they said they were booked up till Tuesday but they'll try to get to it. Surprisingly I got a call Friday and the outcome was that my extended warranty expired when the odometer reached 75K, not an additional 75K after I bought the warranty. Well, I had 19 hours of overtime I hadn't spent yet so I wasn't too worried, I was thinking it was just the pinion bearing on the front diff. I was correct but they found the front prop. shaft needed replaced and the driver-side hub is loose, total damage = $999. There goes all that OT. And the best part of the deal, the front prop shaft is 3 weeks on backorder.

What the heck is a front prop. shaft? And why would it be on backorder?
    Prop shaft is short for propeller shaft which is another name for driveshaft.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend you buy a used shaft and put new joints in it and price new unitized hubs at Pep Boys or Advance Auto Parts or someplace like that. They're 2 to 3 times cheaper than the stealership. I worked in the auto parts industry for 12 years before I enlisted. Aftermarket parts are always cheaper and most times are the original equipment manufacturer anyway. I would however let the stealership fix the pinion bearing. Everything else can be done with hand tools in your driveway.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pankake View Post
    drive train is stock, dana 30's.
    to bad i got some used 3.73's but not for the 30 only a 44 and 35
    05 Unlimited, RE 4.5, 4.5 springs, adjustable front and rear track bar, 33x12.5 MT Baja Claw Radial, 15x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.88's, Tom Woods rear cv and sye kit superwinch, RRC front bumper, rear bumper with tire carrier, rocker guards, home made 1.5 seat risers

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have the mechanical confidence to get too involved, though I have a couple friends that can do the work, one's gone for the winter and the other is busy with his SuperBee that is in pieces right now.

Thanks for the input, I wasn't sure what they meant by prop. shaft. This will be the last time it goes to a dealership for work since the warranty ran out of miles. Looks like I have an excuse to start buying some cool tools.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your first purchase should be a Chiltons or Haynes manual for your Jeep. With either of those 2 books, you can do anything needed to your vehicle. Then worry about getting cool/required tools.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Chilton's for my '88 Suburban, '95 Yukon, and Haynes for '94 Saturn (yeah, one of these is not like the others). I used them for troubleshooting only since I'm too chicken to try to do major fixes myself. I know I can get the things apart, but getting it put back together is another thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast