1983 to 1996

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Locker vs Tru-Track

First of all I need to be educated... what is the difference between a locker and Tru-Track lockers, other than the price.

I am getting a rear locker for my '06 Unlimited... it is a daily driver and I don't wheel in extreme conditions.

Would I be happy with a Tru-Track? Or should I just get a locker... then should I get air or elect?

So many ways to spend my money!
    Jon Shields
    http://www.myspace.com/jonjshields

Lest we never forget...
    http://www.afghanistanwarheroes.org/shieldsaj.htm

"Stay focused, know what you want to do with your life and make your dreams comes true." Andrew Shields KIA 31 May 2008 OEF

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought a tru trac was an automatic locker. If its in the rear, and a DD, I would go with a selctable, like an ARB or an Eaton E Locker. Just my .02
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have no clue. so im really no help. sorry
    Guns dont kill people..... gaping holes in vital organs kill people...

The real test comes when all strength has fled and man must produce victory on will alone.

Chevreep

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Tru-trac is a locker. I think you are confusing "locker" with a spool. Spools (whether Lincoln locked or an actual spool) lock both wheels together, in essence, permanently. A LSD (limited slip differential) will lock both wheels together, when needed; and when not needed (ie: street driving) allow the 2 wheels to turn at different speeds.

Having run a Tru-trac in 2 different front axles and in a rear axle, I think you will be very happy with it's performance. A Tru-trac will allow the 2 rear tires to differentiate in speed when you are turning or taking long swooping curves without ratcheting and popping. It will lock both rear wheels together for better traction when needed though. IMO, not having to think about whether or not your rear axle is locked in is nice. Your Jeep's behavior becomes very predictable, which in and off itself is very nice. Don't get me wrong, I like selectable lockers, but IMO they belong in front axles, not rear axles.
    Last edited by crazy4ink; 01-04-2009 at 21:09.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Detroit True Trac is a Limited Slip. A locker like a Detroit EZ Locker (auto locker that replaces the spider gears) or a full Detroit (replaces the entire carrier) locks anytime torque is applied to the axle. A Limited Slip locks when a certain ammount of torque or wheel spin is applied.

Will you be happy with a true Trac? Thats depends on what you want.
    What would I get? A full locker of choice (full detroit costly but best auto) (ARB or OX both costly but best out there and selectable)

Now I opened a can. An auto locker will lock anytime torque is applied so it is not desirable on the road. Some auto lockers are "smoother" than others. Of course a locker means when locked if one wheel turns both turn.

A selectable locker can be locked on demand and unlocked on demand. Upside to this is it is invisibale on the road when unlocked but a full spool when locked. Now the difference between a locker and a spool is simple. A spool is locked ALL the time. There is no differential operation. both wheels are spinning ALL the time. An auto locker has differential operation. When torque is applied it is locked but when it is coasting it is unlocked and will be noisy but will operate as an open diff.

OK So I hope this was all useful and not confuseing.
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you plan on playing in the mountains of Wa (or any other state), then I would suggest either (in this order) an Ox locker, ARB air locker (you gain an air compressor for possible tire inflation). As stated above, it's the best of both worlds. The owners of Tru-tracs usually are initially happy with on-road preformance, but off-road it lives up to it's type - Limited. Sometimes you have to apply the brakes to get it to 'torque-up', meaning to get both tires to spin, and in some instances you might not have the opportunity to do that.
    With selectable lockers they're either locked, or not. In some off camber (wet, snowy, icy) situations a full locker (Detroit, Aussie, Lock-Right, etc) you will slide down to the lower side of the road/trail. With an Ox/ARB you can 'turn-off' the locker and most times drive out of that possible oops. Think about it, and purchase what makes you smile.
    Later, T.J.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is some info for you to read that should answere all your questions, and also some info on the True-Trac.

http://offroaders.com/tech/limited-s...ferentials.htm
    http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/sh...ml/page44.html

I have the True-Trac in both my front and rear and love them. total seamless operation. In the snow I do not think they can be beat. I am not a hard core off roader though, so take it for what it is worth.
    Last edited by airforce26yrs; 01-07-2009 at 11:58.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tru trac is a limited slip. When you need it most it will slip! They are good for highway cruisers and hot rods. They lock up real well, when you are on them like a bat outta heck. When your trying to crawl through the rocks the cyntrifical (SP)force that locks them tight is not present and usually this causes issues. Your better off with a lock rite or other lunch box than a limited slip offroad. Of course the best is a selectable or a Detroit but they are not cheap.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonJeffS View Post
    what is the difference between a locker and Tru-Track lockers
    Limited Slip diffs split torque between the two wheels. The torque-splitting percentage varies with the traction. Equal traction gets a 50%-50% split. As the traction changes, so does the percentage. Zero traction on wheel (i.e in the air or really soft mud) results in all the torque going to that wheel, so under those conditions, it's no better than the open diff you have now. As mentioned, brake-biasing can "trick" the one wheel with traction to get torque in a zero-traction situation. Everything in regards to performance beyond this is opinion. I've read guys claims that they can work the brake to achieve lock up as well as a locker. I've also been told by prior TT owners that they let you down when you need them the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonJeffS View Post
    I am getting a rear locker for my '06 Unlimited... it is a daily driver and I don't wheel in extreme conditions.

Would I be happy with a Tru-Track? Or should I just get a locker... then should I get air or elect?

So many ways to spend my money!
    There's a lot here. You are putting it in the rear, you mostly drive it on the street and apparently, money isnt' too much of an object. It sounds like the Electrac is something you should consider. It's an electronic selectable locker. It's limited slip when it's off, which is great for inclement weather on the street and it locks up with the flip of the switch for 100% torque to both wheels, which is great for the harder sections offroad. It has pretty good reviews and will cost about $200 more than a true-trac.

My opinion is: If you see a need for added traction and are going to spend the $400 for a True-Trac and $300 to $400 for gear reset, anyway, you mind as well spend the extra $200 and diminish your chance of regret.

I just went through this decision process recently. I owned ARBs (selectable air lockers) on my last Jeep. They were nice, but I didn't like the fact that after spending $1000 to lock each axle, I was rendered useless by a potential air line leak or, as in my case, a blown $40 relay in the air compressor. Even though my Jeep is my daily driver, I'm not forced to do long trips in my Jeep, so I now have a Detroit Softlocker that I'm preparing to put in the rear and an Aussie in the front. My reason: I want the traction to be there when I need it and I have a tighter budget.
    Last edited by Ray F.; 01-10-2009 at 23:50.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were you, I'd stay away from a limited slip locker. I've got ARB lockers and am happy with them. However, like Ray F. said, you run the risk of getting a hole in your air line. The lines that come with the ARBs are P.O.S. So, if you get an ARB, then change out the air line tubing with something better (there are alternatives out there).
    A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast