Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 04 WJ brakes

If anyone has a WJ and they feel thier brakes suck, here is what I did to fix mine.

I had to do a brake job and decided to replace all 4 calipers and the master cyclinder. When I reassembled the system, I used a little silicone above the O-ring seals on the master cyclinder resivour and some around the b-nuts on the lines at the master cyclinder.

I then used a spare cap on the master cyclinder that I had installed a valve stem through to do a pressure bleed of the system. I pressurized the system to about 10 PSI and bled all calipers. I now have a brake system that I trust to stop me when I push on the pedal.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1971 to 1974

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our 04 WJ brakes suck. The back driver side always squeals. Took it to the dealer because it was still under warranty. They fixed it for about two days then started again. I replaced the brake pads and still nothing. Checked the e-brake and that wasn't the problem. It squeals all the time not just when putting on the brakes. It only has 50,000 miles on it. Plus there isn't a lot of pedal. May end up doing like you did.
    98 XJ trail rig, 04 WJ street Jeep,
    54 Willys truck.
    http://imageevent.com/brownrc/familyjeeping
    http://www.dav.org/

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel the same. After I bought mine I had it into the dealer several times for low brake pedal and always got the same answere, " thats normal".

I even had a meeting with the area tech rep and got the same answere.

My brakes even failed once, went right to the floor while backing out of a parking spot. Luckily I did not hit anyone. But after I did what I did everything is good.

I even filed a complaint with NHTSA with no results. I requested in investigation and they said there were not enough complaints to warrent it. I call BS, if you have one complaint for brakes, you should investigate.

Edit: I also used teflon tape on the threads of the nuts at the master cyclinder.
    Last edited by airforce26yrs; 01-15-2009 at 09:12.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric