2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Rucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default motor/tranny help

So my tranny finally started to give way in my 91 yj this last weekend after the nasty mud hole. Not sure what the number is but it's the 4spd manual with a 5spd housing mounted to an inline 4. I took it in to get a quote on a rebuild (to include putting a 5th gear in) and they said they would beef it up (since I take it in the mud) and convert it to a 5 spd, but would run about $2500. I've never had to replace/rebuild a tranny so I didn't know how much to expect, but that's too much for me. I only paid 4400 for the jeep.

I've never really been happy with the 4 banger and watching it try to roll 33s up a hill is a joke, especially in 4th (since it's retarded long). I've toyed with the idea of doing a motor swap, and now that I'm at the point where I have to swap out the tranny anyway, I figure this would be the perfect time. The t-case is still solid so I would rather not swap that out.

What I am wondering is what motor/tranny combo do you all suggest? A couple buddy's are running 304s, others 350s. I want the power to be able to cruise on the highway and pull some toys (jetskis, fourwheelers, etc.) without it bogging down much with the 33s, but at the same time I don't need so much that I have to swap out axles or other junk.
    Go fast or go home

03 Jetta, 91 Wrangler Sport, 02 GSX-R 600, 81 Maxim 550, 07 Sportsman 700, 97 Sea-Doo GSI, 96 Kawasaki ZXI 1100

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 4.0L I-6 out of any 87 YJ, XJ and up should fit what you are looking for. There are certian years to look out for (ie not to get), but I can't remember (not enough java yet). If changing your engine try to find a complete vehicle, so you can swap computer, radiator, engine mounts, tranny, etc.
    Me personally, I opt for a Small Block Chevy (SBC), or Small block Ford (SBF) so long as you don't have emissions checks in your state. I've seen some neat installs, the YJ engine compartment is very accommodating. In any install, I would look to replace your rear axle, the Dana 35 leaves lots to be desired in the strenght, and reliability department. Some have wheeled with 35" tires (after installing the Super 35 kit), and others with 31" tires have grenaded the thing, really it's a crap shoot (just don't get any on yourself).
    If you do nothing else, please relocate (Any YJer) your air intake from under your headlight bezel, my friend went into a 2 foot deep water hole, engine inhaled enough water to (hydrolock) push #1 & #6 connecting rods through the oil pan.
    Later, T.J.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.... you just missed out on the 5.7l hemi, 545 auto tranny, comp/wiring harness, headers and radiator from wftw for $3800.
    All in all though, for what you would pay for the full swap, I think you'll be better off finding a jeep that's already got what you want in it. Keep your eyes on craigslist, ebay, autotrader and search around on pirates classifieds.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    All in all though, for what you would pay for the full swap, I think you'll be better off finding a jeep that's already got what you want in it. Keep your eyes on craigslist, ebay, autotrader and search around on pirates classifieds.
    I have a 4 banger TJ, and I had the same idea. Searched around ALOT, and it isn't really worth it, unless the Jeep has sentimental value. Your wallet will thank you for just looking for a YJ/TJ w/4.0 or 4.2.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1982 to 1986

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spend a lot of time on www.jeepforum.com/forum/ and there's a guy there named Martin that did a 4.3L V6 Chevy swap, with a 700R4 automatic, and a NP231 T-case. It's lightweight, has great power and is an easy swap, by all reports. Here is a link to his build.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

More engine swap info can be found at Novak's site too.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...es_general.htm

Hope this helps!