User Tag List

Thread: Installing Driving Lights on windsheild bracket.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Installing Driving Lights on windsheild bracket.

I just got in my PIAA 520 SMR driving lights and KC windshield hinge mounting brackets. I'm having an issue running the wiring. So far I have tilted the windshield forward (PITA btw) and slid the 6" wire that comes out of the back of the light itself under it and inside the cab. The next part is where the problem is. I need to either run it out the driver's side gromet for all the stock wiring bundles and across the engine bay to the battery terminals, or create a new hole in the firewall on the passenger side directly to the battery.

First option seems easier but the wire harness that came with the lights is too short. Second option would be perfect length wise for all the wires in the bundle but I'm nervous about drilling through the firewall. It almost seems like the wiring harness was made to be run out the passenger's side.

Anyone done this before and / or see an option I've missed?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just extend the wires if and run it your original way

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats what i'm thinking too but that would take some thinking, what gauge wire is it, how do i splice in an extension, etc etc...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there's a lot of ways to do it. I'm a pretty simple guy, so usually doing it my way is incorrect

Usually, I just use a standard wire stripper to figure out the gauge and go down to Autozone or whatever you have to buy a roll. Then, this is where everyone starts punching holes, I only strip off the ends, fray them, and twist them together. Electrical tape and donzoe's. Hasn't failed me yet. Some will say solder, I don't have a gun, nor do I give a hoot, but to each his own.

Seeing as you're at Ft. Belvoir, go to the auto shop, ask for Kevin, and tell him Chris sent you. He'll square you away using his personal shit (as they usually fail at life there, though I heard it's gotten better)

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

Naval Base San Diego
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHOA! Slow down with all that twisting the ends together stuff. You can get little pieces of hollow metal designed to splice wires together, they are actually called splices, imagine that. What you do is strip the ends place them together inside the splice and crimp it with a crimp tool (or pliers will work in a pinch). After that, tape it with electrical tape and it will be fine. If you don't tape it the wires will short out to each other or any metal they come in contact with. Any more ? Let me know. I hope that helps.
    -Matt

Is scrounging for parts dmaxjeep's Avatar
    Arlington, VA - Silver Spring, MD / AL / MDW

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are you driving...puting the lights on???? a sig would help us help you.
    1990 YJ, Sold

1998 TJ, traded

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited