Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sirius SAT radio in jeeps

Well i just returned from a tour in Afghanistan and be it behold, my awesome wife bought me a 2003 kick ass Rubicon with all the right trims....

I am a very big fan of SAT radio and have had it in every car, however those cars have had solid roofs... Any idea on how to install the antenna or using the FM extender antenna? I appreciate all the education on jeeps and where or how to install the SAT radio properly, specifically the antenna.

Thank you.

Darren (Active Duty NAVY / E-6)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put the antenna on my hood and ran the wire thru the firewall to the reciever. Works and Looks great.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I discontinued the use of my sat radio in the jeep but when I used it I just mounted the antenna to the hood right in front of the windshield and ran the wire through the firewall worked great for me, especially if you get the in line antenna rig so other signals can't walk over the FM signal from your sat receiver to the FM receiver.
    Close combat stresses every aspect of the physical, mental, and spiritual features of the human dimension. To this end, Infantrymen are specially selected, trained, and led.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tracking....... any specific reason why you have discontinued using it?

I have both the nomal antenna and the FM extender antenna in my kit. Are you recommending installing both?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in line kit, comes in useful if you travel in your vehicle some areas you travel through have radio stations that may be broadcasting on the same freq as you sat radio transmitter in which case the in-line will not allow those signals to overide your sat radio signal.

I stopped using mine b/c I bought a new jeep and haven't installed the it in the new jeep, I have an IPOD interface and with 12k + songs loaded to that thing I am at no loss for music, and I can listen to exactly what I want when I want.
    Last edited by SSGChappy; 01-17-2009 at 21:37.
    Close combat stresses every aspect of the physical, mental, and spiritual features of the human dimension. To this end, Infantrymen are specially selected, trained, and led.

There's blood EVERYWHERE!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 1999

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EXCELLENT mounting spot is to run the antenna up the rollbar under the padding, and secure it in the middle of the main hoop. highest point of the jeep, and satellite signals pass through fiberglass(hardtop) and canvas(soft top).... Nice because you can't see the antenna too...
    "Uhm... Is smoke supposed to be coming from there?"

www.odjeeps.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome. good wife ya got to get you a jeep as a gift when you redeploy. welcome to MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by VillanoSr View Post
    Well i just returned from a tour in Afghanistan and be it behold, my awesome wife bought me a 2003 kick ass Rubicon with all the right trims....

I am a very big fan of SAT radio and have had it in every car, however those cars have had solid roofs... Any idea on how to install the antenna or using the FM extender antenna? I appreciate all the education on jeeps and where or how to install the SAT radio properly, specifically the antenna.

Thank you.

Darren (Active Duty NAVY / E-6)

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
    EXCELLENT mounting spot is to run the antenna up the rollbar under the padding, and secure it in the middle of the main hoop. highest point of the jeep, and satellite signals pass through fiberglass(hardtop) and canvas(soft top).... Nice because you can't see the antenna too...
    When I had my soft top, that's how I did mine. When I went to my fiberglass halfcab, I forgot to run it before running my exocage, so now the antenna rides on the cowl, driver's side, in front of the windshield.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1983 to 1996

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine too is on the roll bar... under the padding. The signal goes through the soft top and the fiberglass hardtop. I ran the wires down the pilar behind the trim.
    Jon Shields
    http://www.myspace.com/jonjshields

Lest we never forget...
    http://www.afghanistanwarheroes.org/shieldsaj.htm

"Stay focused, know what you want to do with your life and make your dreams comes true." Andrew Shields KIA 31 May 2008 OEF

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

that is a great idea and location for the mounting of the antenna. Hopefully the weather will become warmer so i can drop the top down and install it.... Thank you for the advise and i look forward to meeting you all at some jeep outings in the near future. What are all the locations for jeep folks to meet up at?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast