1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dana 44/60 build

Well, I finally found a set of axles that I can throw under the YJ. I got my hands on a 44 and 60 for $250 thanks to a friend. Now I just have to get them ready to go under the YJ.

Everything is covered with dirt, grease, leaves, and what not. Means a lot of cleaning, but it gives me something to do while I am waiting for gears. I'm thinking of running a full spool in the front with a locker in the back. Since there are lockable hubs, I don't see any problems with it. Does anyone know where I can get some gears for a good price for them? 4.88's or 5.13's? I'm keeping the 6 and ax-15 for a while so I want to gear them right.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.trailduty.com They've got 4.88 and 5.13 gears for sale...and they're reasonably priced ($225). Phil, the guy that runs TD, is extremely nice...you won't find better customer service anywhere.
    A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Score. Have fun and keep us posted on the build

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cant see the pics at work but good deal, whats the doner vehicle. have fun and let the money start to flow outward LOL.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the shafts by the Mt Dew cases for the rear are flanged (semi-float) and that is def a full float 60 rear...did he give you the right rear axle shafts? If not...no worries...great time to upgrade everything you can afford to upgrade...during the initial build.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont have any input on the gears but I would say spool the rear too. It will drive the same all the time. No guessing when the locker will kick in or out on the road. You get a bit more tire chirp but its not bad. I run a full spool in the rear of my DD. Just thought I'd throw that out there as a way to save some $.
    what ever semperFry says its not true! and ignore him!

R.I.P. Heep #1 But I will rebuild bigger,faster and stronger!!!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A full spool in the front isn't recommended. Put the locker up front, and spool in the rear (as fireboy 52 suggested). Reason is you will not be able to turn (with a spool in front), both wheels will be rotating the same, and the outside wheel not giving up power so you can start the turn. A locker will 'disengage' the outside wheel allowing the inside to pull you through.
    Something to think about.
    Later, T.J.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the input. From what the guy told me, they came out of a 78 ford. From the looks of them, that sounds about right too. It is going to take me a couple of days to get the money together to buy parts, but they are going to be too sweet when done.
    Sven

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What size tire are u planning on and what type of trails will you run? With that setup I would seriously consider going as deep as 5.38s since that is a true 44 front. Also I was about to ask the same thing about why a front spool, but it seems they have already covered that, just remember that spool if you do it in the rear with that big rear axle on that puny stock drivetrain will create a great deal more stress being constantly locked up, that is a nice setup though. Do you know what u-joints are on the axle sides of that axle combo you will have to use? Have fun, Dana 60s are Kewl!!!

Will
    2006 Rubicon, FT 6" Long Arm, Swayloc DR swaybar, CV rear Driveshaft, JKS 1.25" Body, 1" motor mount lift, ARB Dif covers,...etc.
    2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport package, 4.7 V8, Navigation System, Locking rear, X-REAS suspension
    1:6 Nylint Jeep rockcrawler
    (2) 1:18 Nylint Jeep Rockcrawlers (Daughters!)
    http://www.rokmen.com/banners/rokmen_sig.JPG

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about the U-joints yet. haven't tried to find out. Either way, it isn't that big of a deal because I will have to get the drive shafts extended when I trow them under the sprins. I haven't made up my mind about the lockers yet, there is still time as I have to save some $'s.
    Sven