1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Clutch ?????

The other day I started feeling alot of play in the clutch pedal on my 86 CJ7/T-5. I tried to adjust it out when I got home and found that there wasn't enough threads to adjust. I started thinking it was probably my clutch going, but one of my mechanics told me that it may not be. It feels like the clutch is releasing at about the same point as it always has. Being as I am pretty much tranny inept any other things I should check before replacing the clutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if you have the old bell & crank type clutch assembly. If you do it might be worn out, and just need replacement parts (there are plastic cups that go in the ends and a couple of spring clips). Another thing that might have happened is the ball that allows your clutch fork to pivot (it's located in the bellhousing) may have slipped out of position.
    Is there a body lift on your CJ? A 1" lift plus lift will throw off your clutch assembly.
    Later,T.J.
    Last edited by JavaTee; 01-21-2009 at 05:46.

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaTee View Post
    Not sure if you have the old bell & crank type clutch assembly. If you do it might be worn out, and just need replacement parts (there are plastic cups that go in the ends and a couple of spring clips). Another thing that might have happened is the ball that allows your clutch fork to pivot (it's located in the bellhousing) may have slipped out of position.
    Is there a body lift on your CJ? A 1" lift plus lift will throw off your clutch assembly.
    Later,T.J.
    No body lift. I couldn't tell you if it's bell and crank or not. Any way to easily tell? If the ball slipped wouldn't that make the tranny shift like crap? It seems to be shifting fine, it's just that excessive play that is driving me nut because it wasn't there until recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

[quote=sincitycj;52280] Any way to easily tell?
    If the ball slipped wouldn't that make the tranny shift like crap? quote]

Here's the easiest way to show you,
    http://www.thejeep.com/onlinecatalog/p85.htm
    Sorry for the excess grease shot.

The ball sits in a holder (inside the bellhousing), and is held in position by the clutch fork. There is a spring that holds the clutch fork in place, ie the ball stays in it's cup, also. Maybe something came loose inside.

If you can compress the throwout/release bearing enough, then the clutch will allow the tranny to shift, as if nothing is wrong. The down side is that if the throwout/release bearing is 'riding' on the pressure plate fingers, soon you will be replacing the whole clutch/pressure plate/release bearing
    anyway. I hope this helps.
    Later, T.J.