1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spool for a dana 60; Thoughts?

As I gather stuff for my axle swap I ran into an article on installing a spool (dana 60). Anyone use/used one of these?
    For under $200 it doesnt seem bad for the rear axle, certainly not for the front.
    Last edited by Ghost00TJ; 02-17-2009 at 22:11.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never used a spool, but I did drive my first Toyota truck with the elocker engaged all the time because I didn't have all the wiring done and never got it done. I was going to install a cable actuator for it but rolled the truck before I got it done. It was the same as having a spool.

Dependable and pedictable.

Turning radius loss on the trail and tire wear on the road.

Flip a coin.
    Last edited by Jacob; 01-21-2009 at 13:27.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you go drive Jacobs Rubi with the rear locked you'd know the feeling. For the rear it will be fine. You will see onroad manners going to crap and it will eat tires. BUT offroad manners will be unbeatable. I would say for your application either a Spool or just weld it.
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard other opinions like this, but does the cost of a detroit or something similar even out with tire wear? How often do tires need to be rotated and/or replaced?
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default spool = tire wear

Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    I have heard other opinions like this, but does the cost of a detroit or something similar even out with tire wear? How often do tires need to be rotated and/or replaced?
    TIRE WEAR?
    That is the question that comes up now, again the old compromise of trail vs street manners. I hear the tire wear comment on nearly every reply from at least one person. If it is in fact that bad then $800 for a locker doesnt look so bad. Good OR Tires are not cheap and the pain of rotating tires more often to get an even wear is not fun. OR tires wear kinda fast on the road to begin with now multiply that because of turning radius drag it may prove cost effective to use a selectable locker.

-SIGH-
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Bounty Hunter MWJT)Tire wear is negligible, I haven't had a problem with it. I'm currently running soft MT/R's on the street and haven't noticed any coning of the rear tires.

Most who say a spool is bad on tires probably haven't ran one.
    I drive my jeep on a semi-daily basis, commuting to my part-time job in all types of weather. The spool has been a lot better than expected in rain and snow. Snow use hasn't been a problem as long as you keep in mind that you automatically lose traction of one rear wheel on every turn. It usually takes a blip of the throttle to get the whole rear loose.
    Many I've talked to that went with a spool say they will never go back to an automatic locker. They're just to easy to drive, predictable and quiet.
    So mabey not so bad he actually runs one Hummmmmmm
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost00TJ View Post
    So mabey not so bad he actually runs one Hummmmmmm
    Like I said before. I ran a locked rear on a 87 Toyota Pickup Extended cab. It had Good Year MTRs and I noticed the tire wear enough that I rotated the tires twice in 5 months. I drove it everyday on the roads though anywhere from maybe 2 miles to 30 miles in the local area. It wasn't so bad that I was in a hurry to go out and spend the $200 on the parts I needed to be able to select it. But I was only running 31s, so they were not as expensive as 36s. If you are not going to daily drive it, I would spool it. It is very dependable and predictable on the trail.
    Last edited by Jacob; 01-22-2009 at 14:21.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2004

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We run welded rears alot (cheap spool) and there arent alot of adverse reactions on a normal dry road. No more than a detroit locker. In wet conditions and a short wheelbase, it can be scarey. I wouldnt really recommend it for someone who drives theirs alot on the road. Tires really dont wear out faster on a jeep since they are light. If I were looking at something like that, I would save for an ARB or Detroit just for the unlocking abilities.
    For Rock Crawling Information and Events go to www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spools for dana 60

Dont really know much in this department,I`ve seen um in the Jeg`s catalog as a drag racing component,locking up would be ideal fore that application.What I do know however,comes from forklifts maint...If axles are locked all the time tire wear is least of concerns if locked axle operate in material handling applications.Tire wear occurs because the tires are the only place where there is any give.If there is zero give in tire department,then the torque transfer has to go someplace else(i.e....carriers,housings,bearings,and or ring and pinion....bad...bad)