1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is this possible for budget on-board air

I am looking for a cheap solution to on-board air. I know that you can buy refillable cannisters to help inflate tires, but I want to get away from paying for the refills.

I know you can buy on-board air tanks that hold 1.75 gallons, 2.5 gallons etc..

I also know that you can buy kits for the jeep, but they seem mighty expensive.

Here is the route I may go, if you have any suggestions, feel free to post them.

I bought this air compressor: campbell hausfield 2 gallon

The compressor hold 2 gallons and will inflate to a max of 100 psi, more than I would need for jeep tires. Because I can plug it in to recharge the air, I don't have to pay for refills like if I just bought the cannisters.

It is small, really small. It won't take up much room if I were to mount it int he back of the unlimited. This would give me 2 gallons of air if needed.

I am thinking of fabbing a bracket whcih will be bolted to the left side of the tub in the back of the seat behind the back seat. Since the gauges are easu to read, I will know what the status is of the air pressure inside before I hit the trails. If needed, I could always fill the tank back up again by finding a plug at a gas station or somewhere else.

Do you think two gallons of air is enough? It seems like it would be, because the tanks I have seen are around 2, but cost a lot more.

I am not sure if I could run any air tools off this when I have it plugged in. It says it is perfect for inflating tires, brad nailers, stapling and air brushing, but I am sure it would work with other stuff. I may not know for sure until I can visit the auto hobby shop to check using their tools.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Budget on-board air

Found this on another site that was showing how to convert an old fire extinguisher into on board air.

That's all there is to it. All of the fittings and quick disconnects etc. I purchased at Home Depot between the plumbing section and the tool section. 2.5 gal isn't enough to fill one 33" tire back up after airing down but it is a big help. Having a tank allows the compressor to shut off every once in a while so that it's not running the entire time I'm trying to fill 4 tires.

So, it looks as thought this may not be a viable option and may be returned to walmart if it will not work. No need to have extra crap in my heep if it does not work.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard that CO2 tanks work really well for airing up. They are lightning quick and cheap to refill. I'll look it up and see if I can find more.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are two gallons, I may as well just stick with this set up because I don;t have to worry about refills, I can just plug it in and I am good to go to refresh the air.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure you can buy a cheap bigger one though.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked into it for just a second. I'm gonna find where I read it and hotlink it here. I gotta go though. I spent all afternoon helping with a lift and night wheeling, so I'm gonna go. Wife hurt her back.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a home-made CO2 set up. It's made up of a 20 lb aluminum tank I got off of e-bay for about $65.00. I paid $35.00 for a non adjustable regulator. $10.00 for a 50ft hose at home depot. I had the chuck and thread tape already. That's what, $110.00? The cost of refills very. I have paid as much as $20.00 and as little as $14.00 for a fill. The fill I am working on right now has at least 60 tires on it, everything from 31"-36" from flat to just airing up after a trail run, several shots to the motorcycle tires and only God knows how many bicycle tires for the neighborhood kids. It's still not empty. The only thing I can say bad about it is: 1. it does take up a little room where as an underhood setup would be invisible and 2. when it is below freezing, the regulator will freeze up after a minute or two. It helps to be able to keep it warm (like inside a Jeep with the heater running). I have been running this for about 4.5 years and don't see myself getting rid of it.
    If you decide to go this route, make sure you get a tank that does NOT have a dip tube.
    treefrog

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds promising. I saw a write up on how to convert an old fire extinguisher into on board air.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257805

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2012

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can use one of those thin steel extinguishers for air, but not CO2. You MIGHT get two 33" tires aired up with one of those. CO2 is the way to go for volume.
    treefrog

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged