User Tag List

Thread: a couple of newbie questions about lift, service manual and mods for a '92 2.5L YJ

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default a couple of newbie questions about lift, service manual and mods for a '92 2.5L YJ

Jeepers,

I'm recently back from Afghanistan with 24 MEU and just purchased my first wrangler...have been wanting one for as long as I can remember...a '92 YJ 2.5L...and have been lurking and reading as many of your posts that I have time to. A wealth of knowledge and info, thank you all very much.

I have a couple of newbie questions that I can't readily find the answer to.

1. What is the stock height of a '92 YJ 2.5L? I have read once and only once that it's 18 inches from ground to stock running boards...is that correct?
    - The reason I ask is that when I bought it there was a set of oversized shackles and shocks in the back of the jeep. When I asked the previous owner about them he said they were on it at one time but didn't know much about it wasn't sure if the lift was back to stock except for the 30" tires. I've read shackle lifts aren't a good idea and may cause damage to other components and wondering if there's anything I should be looking for while I'm crawling around under it.

2. How much change occured between the '90 & '95 YJ 2.5L models?
    - I don't want to keep looking for a '92 service manual if a '93 or '95 will cover everything that a '92 manual will. I have a Haynes and it simply sucks and is missing quite a bit of info.

A few of the mods I have planned and on the way are a 4.0 TB and Spacer...next is an electric fan and then a cold air intake. Any other initail mods you would recommend?

Thanks again,
    DevDawg

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, welcome back from Afghanistan!

Are you in Jacksonville, Florida by chance? While I can't help out with the YJ questions, if you're in FL then you can swing by Overbuilt Customs (www.overbuiltcustoms.com) and talk to Brad Wilkins. He specializes in modifying older Jeeps (TJ, YJ, CJ8, CJ5, CJ7, etc). When you're ready to hook your Jeep up right (lift, air intake, dual battery, engine swap, etc) he'd definitely be the guy to talk to first).
    A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quick note about height, I measured from the middle of the frame on the front bumper (the tube up there) and I got just about 20 inches stock in my 93 YJ and I would imagine that from the running boards or that area it would be about 18 inches.

But I could be wrong.
    I'm going to hurt you with my think mind!

Is scrounging for parts dmaxjeep's Avatar
    Arlington, VA - Silver Spring, MD / AL / MDW

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you say stock, thats gonna depend on tire size too, not just suspension mods.

I can't help you on your question tho..

however,.... welcome to the site
    1990 YJ, Sold

1998 TJ, traded

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome. I don't know what the stock height is on a YJ, but I will try to find my owners manual and let you know (yes, i actually have one). One of the easiest ways to see if your jeep is still stock or not is to just look at the arch of the springs. If they look flat, then they are most likely your stock springs. Also, if they are flat, then it was caused by one of two things, age and the shackles. Shackles tend to cause leaf springs to flatten. As long as the shackles aren't 12" long, I wouldn't imagine that hey messed up anything other than the springs. Look between the frame and the body of the jeep too. If you see more than an inch space between the two, then there is likely a body lift on the jeep.

As far as mods go. It is all up to you and how much you want to spend, and what kind of wheeling you want to do. If you give us a better idea, then I am sure people here can steer you in the right direction.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope this helps.

For comparisson for you.
    Here is a stock 91 YJ with 30" M/T's on it and stock shackles and springs.
    Fine on the road, rubbed like hell off-road.

Same Jeep and Tires with a 1" Body Lift added:

Same Jeep, 32" M/T's 4" Suspension & 1" Body
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoot me a PM and I can meet up with you and see what your YJ has. I've turned a bolt or two on a few YJ's, I'm sure I can give you a close estimate pretty easily.