Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tire Sipping good/bad?

I just read about this tire sipping stuff and it sounds like a good idea if your tires didn't come sipped from the factory. The majority seem to be sipped with the exception of most off-road tires. If anyone has done this or heard of it, please let me know your opinions.
    "DON'T PANIC" 1*
    /|[]
    ||._|__-0lllllll0
    ---------<=##=>
    (o)_))_(o)_))_)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy. I sold tires for 7 years so I'll jump in with my 2 cents. All tires are siped. Even with mud terrain tires, the gaps between the lugs are sipes. Smaller sipes (like on most tires) are better in wet weather because it lets the tire act like it has a bunch of small feet and channels away water better but are bad in the snow and mud because those sipes fill up faster and the tire loses traction. Tires with big blocky tread are better for mud and snow because the tread doesn't fill up as fast and are generally designed to be self-cleaning but are sometimes bad with water because the blocky tread doesn't flex enough to maintain traction. With that in mind, decide what your intended purpose is for your tires and you will be good to go. Lately, there has been an "upgrade" with tires dealerships. They will offer to cut extra grooves or "sipes" into any tire they sell for an extra price. To me, this is like buying an extra warranty for something: you may or may not ever use it. I think that with all the research and development going into tread design, the manufacturers pretty much got it all figured out and the retailer is just trying to make an extra buck.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be putting BFG KM M/T's on my Jeep and most of the reviews for this tire have stated they don't do well in wet conditions, I use my Jeep as my D/D, so I was seriously considering siping these tires. Thanks for the reply, very informative.
    "DON'T PANIC" 1*
    /|[]
    ||._|__-0lllllll0
    ---------<=##=>
    (o)_))_(o)_))_)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CurreyA View Post
    I will be putting BFG KM M/T's on my Jeep and most of the reviews for this tire have stated they don't do well in wet conditions, I use my Jeep as my D/D, so I was seriously considering siping these tires. Thanks for the reply, very informative.
    Your welcome. I have ProComp MTs on mine. They have almost the exact same tread as the BFGs and have extra siping already on the blocks. Something to think about.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going with the BFG M/T's, make sure you get the KM2's, bigger lugs, more sidewall protection and though not sipped, they have cut grooves in every other lug. I ran BFG M/T for 3 years and I loved them, I recently changed over to a bigger size and went for the KM2's. They are great on rocks, better in the snow and rain and a lot quitier on the road. Just my $.02
    Bill Collins
    USAF Retired
    Knoxville Wranglers
    Military Jeepers.com
    '04 TJ,
    '04 Ford F-150 w/5.4 Triton, Tow Rig,
    '08 Parker 14' trailer.