2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default shock question

i have a 3" tera lift and seriously considering purchasing their long arm upgrade for there 3" lift. would i need to get longer shocks or would mine work for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I am officially a Huge Steeler's Fan!
    97 ZJ Murdered Out! (SOLD ), 5.5" Clayton L/A's front and rear, 242 swap, HP30 & 8.8 w/ 4.88's & Eaton ELocker's F/R, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

Grand Cherokee Owners
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...php?groupid=44

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have absolutley no clue...
    Guns dont kill people..... gaping holes in vital organs kill people...

The real test comes when all strength has fled and man must produce victory on will alone.

Chevreep

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not 100% on this one but i'm guessing that your lift kit came with new shocks.......you should be fine with the shocks that came with your previous lift. I'm not sure if it will hurt your articulation or not. Give the company a call directly in order to get the best information cause they will be the ones who would have done extensive research of the development of the test and fully understand the possible angles

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a 100 bucks that says you'll be fine. I can't remember who told me this (definitely a reliable source), but you don't really need to go long arms till 4" and up. At 3" I think he was saying you'll just be bouncing your long arms off the frame (or something like that).

What I would do is call them and see if you can buy 4" springs with the long arm upgrade. I'm sure they're the same arms, just adjusted differently. Then you can sell your 3" springs to someone and recoup a little coin. Then you get a little more lift, a lot more articulation, and a little compensation for an old part. Plus, I would imagine that the shocks would be bracketed at a 3"-5" lift, so you'll probably be good. Mind the disclaimer. Verify all assumptions with dealer before purchasing.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ2aChad View Post
    you should be fine with the shocks that came with your previous lift.I'm not sure if it will hurt your articulation or not.
    It will, a long arm lift is designed to droop much more. But, however, your best option would be to just get a limiting strap on each corner to stop you from over extending your shocks. Another option would be that you can run a larger bump stop and then a larger/longer shock and thus use your droop more. Keep in mind that as soon as your springs begin to unseat that you no longer have positive traction on the tire thus making the droop useless. Articulation does not mean much what-so-ever, Look at YJs and Tacos... There is a reason why people run them as Comp rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56
    I can't remember who told me this (definitely a reliable source), but you don't really need to go long arms till 4" and up. At 3" I think he was saying you'll just be bouncing your long arms off the frame (or something like that).
    100% Accurate. A LA lift is useless under 4-4.5" of lift. Your arms will more then likely hit the frame at flex. Not worth the headache to create more issues.

What I would do is call them and see if you can buy 4" springs with the long arm upgrade. I'm sure they're the same arms, just adjusted differently.
    I would buy RE springs in a 4.5" flavor. They do not sag as much as most others overtime, and yet they still have a nice ride to them. They, RE, have a TJ spring rate dialed in. The arms would be different. The higher you lift, the longer your arms need to be in order to keep the axle in the correct place. If you do not use longer arms, your wheelbase will actually shrink. A TJ on a 4" short-arm lift will normally have about a 91.5-92" wheel base versus the 93.75-94" stock.

Plus, I would imagine that the shocks would be bracketed at a 3"-5" lift, so you'll probably be good.
    More then likely not. You probably have an 8-9" travel shock. To measure this, extend your shock to its full length and measure it eye to eye/studbase. Then compress it fully compress it and measure the same. Take the compressed length and subtract it from the extended length. That is your shock travel. FWI, I ran 12" shocks on a 4.5" lift.

And finally...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Assassin
    i have a 3" tera lift and seriously considering purchasing their long arm upgrade for there 3" lift
    If you are going to go through all of the trouble to do a LA upgrade, buy Clayton. They are the best on the market and one of the least expensive. No one will beat their customer service. Every time you call you will either talk to Adam or Clayton himself. They are co-owners in the company. They know their stuff. Just buy their complete 4" kit and be done with it. You will never have a need for another suspension for the rest of your jeeps life.
    98 TJ, 4.5" RE springs, Custom stretched triangulated 4-link, Clayton Trans and Engine Skids, Hp60s, 5.38s, ARB front, Detroit rear, 37" BFG Krawler Red Label, H2 wheels, InnerAirLocks, and much more.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome follow up. Thanks a ton.