Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Binding in 4wd

For those of you with a CJ or YJ running a Dana 30 + AMC 20, does anyone know what is normal regarding how far you can turn the steering wheel before hearing binding in 4wd? I'm getting about 1/2 a turn before it starts binding on loose dirt and mud. When moving straight ahead in 4wd, I get no noise. When in 2wd, no noise straight or turning.
    Thanks!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

U.S. NAVY SEABEE (EO2) lockedupLJ's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have lockers or anything? What do you mean by "binding"?
    EXCUSES ARE STEPPING STONES TO FAILURE!!!!!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did this just start? what size tires? what kind of tires?

it might just be you catching traction with the front end
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I really didn't provide much surrounding info. Its all stock and part of the resto I haven't put much work into as of yet. I didn't make any changes or all of a sudden notice it, rather I started exploring with the 4WD for the first time and noticed it. It could be normal as this is my first CJ and don't know what to expect - however, I don't think it is. Its not tire skipping or grabbing, its a kind of "ratchet' sound only when I try to drive left or right with the wheel only half turned. Going straight it makes no sound and the 4wd seems to work fine. This occurs in 4 low and 4 high, but never in 2wd. I'm running only 31 AT's - nothing huge. The hubs are "Selectro Heavy Duty" hubs and are I believe, original - or at least to me they are. I've also got a 4wd tacoma and it skips when I'm turning in 4WD so I kind of know what to expect, but it only skips (grabs) when I've turned quite a bit. With this Jeep I could hardly turn at all without the noise occuring. As soon as I go straight in 4wd or back to 2wd, noise goes away. I was thinking it could be the ujoint on the front driveshaft, but I haven't looked yet. But, I would think if that were the problem it would bind and make noise all the time, straight and turning.
    Thanks guys
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

U.S. NAVY SEABEE (EO2) lockedupLJ's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ratchiting/binding would make think Loc-Rite locker someone else installed before you got it. If not, I would definately look into a U-joint problem. Here's how you check for a locker.

Jack up both sides and lock both of the hubs. Have someone hold one tire, and you spin the other, then spin the other backwards. If a locker is present, you will hear a click, click noise. It is pretty loud. Also, while you have it jacked up, check your ball joints, axle U-Joints, wheel bearings, etc. You should be able to find your problem fairly easily if you have one.
    EXCUSES ARE STEPPING STONES TO FAILURE!!!!!!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse6 View Post
    Sorry, I really didn't provide much surrounding info. Its all stock and part of the resto I haven't put much work into as of yet. I didn't make any changes or all of a sudden notice it, rather I started exploring with the 4WD for the first time and noticed it. It could be normal as this is my first CJ and don't know what to expect - however, I don't think it is. Its not tire skipping or grabbing, its a kind of "ratchet' sound only when I try to drive left or right with the wheel only half turned. Going straight it makes no sound and the 4wd seems to work fine. This occurs in 4 low and 4 high, but never in 2wd. I'm running only 31 AT's - nothing huge. The hubs are "Selectro Heavy Duty" hubs and are I believe, original - or at least to me they are. I've also got a 4wd tacoma and it skips when I'm turning in 4WD so I kind of know what to expect, but it only skips (grabs) when I've turned quite a bit. With this Jeep I could hardly turn at all without the noise occuring. As soon as I go straight in 4wd or back to 2wd, noise goes away. I was thinking it could be the ujoint on the front driveshaft, but I haven't looked yet. But, I would think if that were the problem it would bind and make noise all the time, straight and turning.
    Thanks guys
    I have an 02 TJ that does the exact same thing in 4hi and 4low when I turn the wheel not even a 1/4 of the way left or right. I thought it was kinda a strange that it did that but I thought it was supposed to. I also had an 02 Grand that did the same thing but I could turn the wheel 1/2 way either way before it started. I dont have any guesses as to what the problem could be since I thought it was normal but I am very curious to see what the problem is. Sorry I couldnt help. Good luck.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lockedupLJ View Post
    The ratchiting/binding would make think Loc-Rite locker someone else installed before you got it. If not, I would definately look into a U-joint problem. Here's how you check for a locker.

Jack up both sides and lock both of the hubs. Have someone hold one tire, and you spin the other, then spin the other backwards. If a locker is present, you will hear a click, click noise. It is pretty loud. Also, while you have it jacked up, check your ball joints, axle U-Joints, wheel bearings, etc. You should be able to find your problem fairly easily if you have one.
    Good info, thanks. I'm embarrased to say I don't know if I have lockers or not, but I'm going to find out. If it turns out that I do have lockers I'm assuming that they shouldn't be making that noise, correct?
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tellish33 View Post
    I have an 02 TJ that does the exact same thing in 4hi and 4low when I turn the wheel not even a 1/4 of the way left or right. I thought it was kinda a strange that it did that but I thought it was supposed to. I also had an 02 Grand that did the same thing but I could turn the wheel 1/2 way either way before it started. I dont have any guesses as to what the problem could be since I thought it was normal but I am very curious to see what the problem is. Sorry I couldnt help. Good luck.
    Interesting. Do you feel any kind of added resistance when the noise starts? I don't with mine. It just sounds like there is a slinky stuck around the front axle and it just gets wound up as I try to turn, but no resistance ever occurs.
    GarryOwen!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse6 View Post
    Interesting. Do you feel any kind of added resistance when the noise starts? I don't with mine. It just sounds like there is a slinky stuck around the front axle and it just gets wound up as I try to turn, but no resistance ever occurs.

I do not notice any added resistance. I would agree more with the "ratchet" sound. When I am on loose gravel/dirt or snow/ice and I am FULL turn either way then I do notice some resistance and a hopping feeling but not before I hit full turn. At about 1/4 turn is when the "ratchet" sound occurs but no resistance.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tellish33 View Post
    I do not notice any added resistance. I would agree more with the "ratchet" sound. When I am on loose gravel/dirt or snow/ice and I am FULL turn either way then I do notice some resistance and a hopping feeling but not before I hit full turn. At about 1/4 turn is when the "ratchet" sound occurs but no resistance.
    The hopping feeling I'm defintely familiar with with the tires trying to grab, but this ratchet sound is throwing me. Just sounds like a slinky inside the hub. I'll put it up on jack stands tomorrow and tear into it I suppose.
    GarryOwen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast