1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spending some money..... advice wanted

Ok so the Fed owes me a bit of money, and I get to spend some of it.
    Wanted your all's opinions on it all.
    Its for my Waggy, so what you need beforehand:
    AMC360 TH400 Quadtrac Dana 44 Front and Rear on 35" M/T's.

Gearing:
    Upgrade from 3.07 to 4.56 Yukon - Thoughts?

Lockers:
    Currently Open Open, was looking at OX front and rear, but one of the quotes that came back to me was cheaper for an Electric Locker.
    Anyone have experience with Auburn ECTED Electric Lockers?
    Susposedly it operates as a Limited Slip Diff when not engaged.
    Opinions or experience with them?

It's a non-daily driver, and if all goes right will be on a trailer when going any distance.

The quotes I'm getting are all around the same ballpark.

So the lockers worth it? Or should I only go with one locker? Or stay open open? Electric or Cable? (ARB priced out of the range).
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's going on a trailer why don't you just Detroit it or put a full time in it? Or if you want at least one selectability run a detroit in the rear and ox up front.

I've heard mixed review on Ected. I was also looking into those almost a year ago. When I go lockers its either OX or ARB. I'm looking for sure as shit gonna be awesome when I'm about to dump that kind of money into my axles. You can google reviews and find the population almost split in half.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want selectable I would go with the OX, just something I don't trust overtime with electronics in a axle.......i'm even a little iffy on air. For me there is just a extra sense of knowing and durability in the control of the cable
    "Don't hold grudges because tomorrow my never happen!"

"If you live for the weekend, you're missing out on 5/7ths of your life!"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selectable lockers; OX or ARB
    Maybe even think about just putting one in the rear and spend the funds you were going to place on a front locker to other uses. I say that as I rarely ever use my front locker, opting for steering and control over the other wheel spinning. Of course having the ability to flick a switch in a pinch and forgo my own advice is priceless!!!

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1991

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would give that money to me since I owe the feds. Damn higher income brackets
    Socaljeep
    http://groups.jeepforum.com/War_Veteran_Jeep_Group
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

/l ,[____],
    l---L-OlllllllO-
    (_) ) ()_)-o-)_)
    No latte sipping metro-sexual
    hippie liberal types allowed.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ox's are nice, and I hear they've taken care of alot of the adjustment issue's that they used to have.... but the waggy has a longer wheel base and more weight than a wrangler plus you're not daily driving it. I doubt you'd have the same driveablility issues that wranglers have with detroits. I'd throw in detroits front and rear and not worry about it.
    Take the money you save for some type of armor. If there's still some left over, I'd get a chain link steering wheel, some of those fuzzy dingle berries to hang around the top inside of the windshield, and maybe some neon underglow lights.
    Can't comment on the gearing as I know nothing about your trans/engine, but I plan on running 5.13's in my auto rubicon when I go up to 35" tires.

If you spot me, I'll do it! socalkenny's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1990 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! You're running 35's w/ 3.07 gears? Man, I remember putting 33's on my rig w/ 3.07's. It was horrible. Guess it helps when you have when you have a 360 to push em though.
    I have no experience with Auburn, but I did have an electric locker once. It was the Detroit Electrac and it was the biggest POS waste of money that I have ever spent. Replaced it a few years ago with ARB and haven't looked back. I don't think you can go wrong with Ox or ARB. Let us know how it turns out. Man, you're gonna love those 4.56's. Good luck.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

NAS Whidbey Island
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest getting some of this.

Its a pretty stout stout.
    '93 4.0L YJ Becky
    SOA | 2.5" OME | 8.8 | 4.88 | Yukon Zip/ARB | 33" TRXus M/Ts | Warn M8000 | Herculined | OBA
    _|_
    --X-X-(_)-X-X--
    <->
    Some guys like them fat, others like them ugly; I prefer BOTH!!![left up for truth]

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    If it's sober, I'm not interested.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    If it's going on a trailer why don't you just Detroit it or put a full time in it? Or if you want at least one selectability run a detroit in the rear and ox up front.

I've heard mixed review on Ected. I was also looking into those almost a year ago. When I go lockers its either OX or ARB. I'm looking for sure as shit gonna be awesome when I'm about to dump that kind of money into my axles. You can google reviews and find the population almost split in half.
    That's why I was seeing if anyone here had any experience with them. All the reviews are 50/50. Since they were cheaper than the OX ones, I was debating it.
    It's not a full time trailer queen. Gotta get the rig and trailer first. That and if I'm only going to Peters Mill I might as well drive straight there (its only 30 minutes away).

Quote Originally Posted by 65THANV-TJ View Post
    I would give that money to me since I owe the feds. Damn higher income brackets
    I've been in that bracket for years. This is our first return in quite a bit. Fun buying a house.

Quote Originally Posted by socalkenny View Post
    Wow! You're running 35's w/ 3.07 gears? Man, I remember putting 33's on my rig w/ 3.07's. It was horrible. Guess it helps when you have when you have a 360 to push em though.
    I have no experience with Auburn, but I did have an electric locker once. It was the Detroit Electrac and it was the biggest POS waste of money that I have ever spent. Replaced it a few years ago with ARB and haven't looked back. I don't think you can go wrong with Ox or ARB. Let us know how it turns out. Man, you're gonna love those 4.56's. Good luck.
    Yup a 360 is nice when pushing its weight.
    4.56 is the one thing i'm set on.

Quote Originally Posted by enil01 View Post
    I suggest getting some of this.

Its a pretty stout stout.
    Best advice of day.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Spangdahlem AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had an Ox in the rear of my TJ and love it. I have heard mixed on the Auburn most of what I have heard seems to come down to installation issues. I do agree with korisu56. If I were you, I would throw a Detroit out back and a selectable up front. It will save you some coin and a Detroit should be very mild mannered in a waggy. Third option, I like best. Part out the waggy and send the axles to me