2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default D44 Swap

Hey I was debating between the S35 or just swapping a D44 in. I think I have pretty much made my mind up on the D44 since im running 35" tires.
    I was wanting to get an idea of how much it cost, those of you that did the swap. Also if you had any regrets with it. I am also gona go with an ARB or OX I havent made my mind up yet. Thanks...

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume your talking TJ? The switch is cosly for a TJ but reasonable for a YJ/XJ (leaf springs)

I would not waste time nor money on a D35. Making it a Super 35 just makes it a turd axle with strong shafts, houseing is still crap. Putting in a D44 that is bolt in will run you about $1000-$1500 for the axle. Then if you decide to do a locker and regear you are running well over another $1000-$1500. Doing an 8.8 on the other hand will still be costly but you will get a stronger axle that can conceivably handle 38's, and EASILY handle your 35's with much abuse and as a bonus you get free disk brakes. With that said the axle itself will run you around $100-$500 (I would say no more that $300) you have to have some fab skills. You will need to remove factory brackets and add TJ brackets, the bracket kit will run $300. Once welded on you now have a bolt in axle. After adding a locker and gears you are ready to roll for about $500-$1000 less than a D44. The catchs is for the 8.8 you really need an SYE, Drive shaft, flange adapter, and really want at least adjustable upper control arms. End state you get more out of the 8.8 and they will both run about the same price wise but the 8.8 has alot more work involved
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be spendy, like Fred said. Don't go cheap with it, make sure you do it right. 8.8 will be the best if you want to save money. Stay away from upgrading the 35 if you can.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

!!GET THE THIN MINTS!! BradleyMechanic's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright that sounds good but doesnt the 8.8 have c-clips though?
    And I thought the D44 was supposed to be a stronger axle then the 8.8
    Ive been lied to! HaHa Nah im still learnin.
    And adding a SYE and a drive shaft wont be a problem because that was already in the plans.
    I hope I can get it done in a weekend because its still my DD.
    Last edited by BradleyMechanic; 02-13-2009 at 09:29.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 8.8 is slightly stronger, but they're both similar. It is a C clip, but you don't see people braking shafts in them very often, so it's really not much of a factor. If you do a 44 swap some things you're going to probably need to do. Gear swap, disk brake upgrade (at the very least rebuild the drums), shock mounts and spring perches. I'm also pretty sure the d44 bolt pattern is 6 instead of our 5. Which means you'll need to run different wheels front and rear and makes tire rotations a little tricky.

I would say, if you want to do a 44 swap, do the front and rear at the same time. It might save you some money in the long run. Also, make sure you're not going to decide one day that you want to run 39" tires. If that thought is in your mind at all, do it right and go with D60s now.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to find a test done by ARB (I believe) testing the strength of the shafts. I know for a fact that the 8.8 spanked the 44. The machine they were using wasn't strong enough to break the shafts on the 8.8. Still looking for the test though. Can't remember if it was online or in a mag.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i might still have a tj rear axle bracket kit from rubicon express that i will sell you for $50 off the web price, you just need to pay to ship it. could probably fit in a flat rate box, will have to look when i get home next week.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    The 8.8 is slightly stronger, but they're both similar. It is a C clip, but you don't see people braking shafts in them very often, so it's really not much of a factor. If you do a 44 swap some things you're going to probably need to do. Gear swap, disk brake upgrade (at the very least rebuild the drums), shock mounts and spring perches. I'm also pretty sure the d44 bolt pattern is 6 instead of our 5. Which means you'll need to run different wheels front and rear and makes tire rotations a little tricky.

I would say, if you want to do a 44 swap, do the front and rear at the same time. It might save you some money in the long run. Also, make sure you're not going to decide one day that you want to run 39" tires. If that
    thought is in your mind at all, do it right and go with D60s now.

I thought you could get a D44 with 5 on 4.5? If not this throws a wrench into my plans...so to speak.
    I think im gona stick with the D44 and not go to the 60's since its still my DD. I cant say I wont, but I dont plan on going any higher than 37"s mabey one day.
    I guess either axle I go with, with the lockers and gears and everything else im gona be puttin some serious money into it.

Ohh and metalcd, I would probably be up for that bracket kit.

Color Blind Trail Guide TJ 4 the Boxers's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say look around for a set of 44's out of a Rubicon, would be a direct swap with your '05. You would then get it with lockers already in place.
    '01 TJ 4 Banger--2" BB w/OME, 1.25 BL, 1" MML, 33" Trxxus, Disco's and Skids.

www.njjeep.org

If it's not a BOXER , it's just a DOG!

Rob

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 31C/Q4-Murphy View Post
    I'd say look around for a set of 44's out of a Rubicon, would be a direct swap with your '05. You would then get it with lockers already in place.

Yeah thats an option too. So generally how do the 4wd shops do it? Do they just put new stuff in or what?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast