Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adjusting doors

When I swapped doors out with someone, I didn't realize how off the doors would be on their alignment. I've been using washers to compensate, but want to do it right now. I tried to take the torx bits out but they're being about as cooperative as usual. Any ideas how to adjust these things or should I just keep the washers?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump

Do it right or not at all Jerry Bransford's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1966 to 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close the door and keep it closed during the adjustment. Loosen the torx-bolts in the hinges on the door, not on the tub. Then just use something like a tapered wooden wedge (to avoid chipping the paint) to move the door around until the gaps are the same all the way around, then tighten the bolts.

Be careful with the torx bolts that hold the hinges to the doors. Their heads are very soft and they are VERY EASILY stripped out. I'd use only a fresh sharp torx-head adapter and then concentrate hard on keeping it planted firmly into the bolt head and straight to help minimize it stripping the bolt head while removing it. I also started using a long breaker bar instead of a ratchet wrench which gives more torque and control which helps to minimize the number of bolts you'll strip out. I've had to drill them out or weld bolts to them to get stripped bolts out more than a few times so you may want to buy a couple replacement bolts from the dealer ahead of time.
    See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I have to buy the replacement bolts, but now how do I get the stripped ones out? Luckily, I've avoided this situation for the few years I've owned my jeep.

Do it right or not at all Jerry Bransford's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1966 to 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the time, they can be easily removed by drilling the head off using a drill bit the diameter of the threaded part of the bolt. Once the head is off, the hinge can be removed leaving the stud protruding from the door. At that point, you can usually get the stud out by carefully unscrewing it with vise grips. When drilling the head off, stop as soon as the head comes loose to leave as much stud protruding as possible.
    Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 02-16-2009 at 20:38.
    See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic. Looking for a drill now . Will keep you guys updated as to the progress. If I can get it to where washers aren't holding up my door, life will be good.