Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default dash lights and head lights "pulse" slightly

Hey folks, I recently noticed on my CJ7 that the dash lights and head lights pulse or flicker slighly, but only while driving (i.e. RPMS above idle). Its not much, just barely noticeable. When its idling, there is no pulse and the lights shine smooth. The engine idles nice and even as well - no surges. Additionally you can see this pulse in the voltmeter - it pulses between 14.5 to 15 volts and about as quick as a resting heartbeat, or almost as if it were blinking in conjunction with the turn signal (but thats not the case). I've had the alternator tested by the local autozone, but they said it tests fine. I can't associate this pulse with the addidtion of any new electrical component as nothing has been added and I don't have any huge electrical drains - just a CB, radio, and two hella lamps - thats it. It pulses when this stuff is on or off - doesn't matter. I redid all the wiring when I did the resto last year and to my knowledge, I don't have any loose grounds or bad connections. What's the next logical step?
    Thanks!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Do it right or not at all Jerry Bransford's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1966 to 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You tested the alternator but did you also test the voltage regulator if it's external and not part of the alternator?
    See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

From Bell Co., KY stationed at Ft. Benning

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree as above in trying both. Take it to an alternator shop and have it rebuilt if thats what it is.
    "Neither current events nor history show that the majority rule, or ever did rule." CSA President Jefferson Davis

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like an ALT/voltage regulator problem or maybe corroded ground?

Did the CJ7 have the resister like the older Dodges? They had a plastic or ceramic thing with a metal resistor in it that would cause problems, I think my nmototr Sergeant used to use paper clips to get by when they went bad LOL.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good