Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rear Track Bar

Rear Track Bar

The reason I'm writing is I have a question about my new 2006 Wrangler I just purchased a few days ago. It has 48,500 miles on it and it has off set wheels that make the tires stick out further than the fenders. No lift kit and has 31x10.50 15's.

I noticed that my TJ has a clunking in the rear end and I have traced it to my rear track bar. My question is can I just get underneath and tighten it up or is there bushings that need to be replaced?

I also have a wobble issue on the front end when braking at 50mph or so. It seems to be the front left tire but I have rebalanced the tires and had the front end aligned two days ago and its not as bad but still there.

I am going to be putting stock wheels back on my TJ and selling the aftermarket wheels. I hope that helps with the handling.

I have searched but it seems that I'm not asking the right question on the search feature. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    V/R
    Dave

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wheels are probably not the front end problem. If its aligned and rebalanced, check your ball joints and wheel bearings. As far as the rear, I'd tighten it down to spec (which I don't know but I'll try to find out) and see if that helps. If not, you'll probably have to replace the bushing.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S-If you tighten your trackbar bolt down too much, it'll still pop, ask miljeep.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try tightening down your rear track bar bolts.... but if the bushings are shot you'll probably end up having to replace it. Go ahead and pay a little extra for an adjustable one now so you've got it down the road when you decide to lift it.
    You're tires are offset, possibly by wheel spacers. If so, pull those things off. Depending on how large they are, they can cause a quicker where on thinks like ball joints and unit bearings. Which brings us on to your front end. Check your ball joints and unit bearings. Check your front track bar, drag link, and tie rod. Something up there is worn or loose and is causing your wobble. It's probably not the tires.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    P.S-If you tighten your trackbar bolt down too much, it'll still pop, ask miljeep.
    Maybe that explains the constant popping from my rear end.....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Maybe that explains the constant popping from my rear end.....
    I'm going to leave that quote alone.
    A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have wobble when your braking, you might want to check your front rotors. The Jeep stock rotors are terrible, they warp and cause wobble. I had that problem and replaced them with a set of Raybestos and the wobble was gone.
    Bill Collins
    USAF Retired
    Knoxville Wranglers
    Military Jeepers.com
    '04 TJ,
    '04 Ford F-150 w/5.4 Triton, Tow Rig,
    '08 Parker 14' trailer.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YUP, da rotors suck. Just replaced them w/ powerslot. Any hoo, all the feedback here is great. Yaaaaay $150 manual from da dealer. It was worth it.
    Rear track bar frame bracket nut 74 ft lbs or 100Nm
    rear track bar axle bracket bolt 74ft lbs or 100Nm

the caution note says to tighten at vehicle ride height this will prevent premature bushing wear.
    WORD!

Do it right or not at all Jerry Bransford's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1966 to 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something else that can make the rear trackbar make noise is if it knocks into the front-side of the gas tank.

But if that clunking you hear is something you could classify as kind of a soft thunk heard especially when driving over uneven surfaces, backing out of a driveway while turning, etc., it could just be the normal clunking of the rear Dana 35c axle that most Wranglers have. The Dana 35c is a c-clip design which allows the axle shafts to move in/out slightly which will make a very audible clunk. Jack up the axle and push-pull on the rear wheels and listen to see if the normal clunk you'll hear is similar to what you hear when driving around.
    See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I think also. The wife's Liberty needed new rotors at 36,000 miles. Looks like I'll be replacing them when I can. As for my rear track bar it only knocks back and forth when I move my jeep sideways and coming and going from the driveway. I'm just going to replace the bushings this weekend.
    As for the aftermarket wheels there is no spacer just a really off set wheel. I scored a set of upgraded stock wheels today for $25 a wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast