1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Detroit rear likes/dislikes

Well exactly what the post says. For those with Full Detroit Rear Lockers what are your likes/dislikes? I had an Aussie and got rid of it for a front Lockright. I have had a front auto locker before and loved it but the rear Aussie was WAY too noisy and abrupt for me so I am looking into a detroit. Is it quieter with a little more manners?
    Also how would a Spool do in a D44 with 35's (will never go bigger)? I know road manners would be non existant but would it really be so abrupt that it would be un tollerable?
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run Detroit f/r D60 f/r I love them off road. Used to drive one on road back when my Jeep was still street legal and it made wet corners and snow REAALLLLYYYY interesting. Also the chirping in the parking lot drove me nuts while doing slow turns.

Off road I don't believe that they can be beat. On road... I would recommend a selectable locker like ARB.
    1997 TJ - Comp Rig
    1998 XJ - Beater house car
    1929 Ford Tudor
    1953 Chevy Bel Air - Current Project

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you hated your aussie, save your $$ for a selectable locker. The full Detroit is scary on the road, atleast till your used to it. I impolded my full detroit and went to a lock rite (had one laying around) It was 10 times better on the road, IMHO as good as my trac loc was on the road. Spools are worse than Detroits on the road. I plan on using a Full Detroit again, but I'm used to them.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1976 to 1980

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm old school, I like the D-locker.They are very tuff, & cheaper but annoying at times.With all the cool selects out there,like OX,ARB,and the E-style,you mite want to go there.
    Last edited by GP4Play; 02-18-2009 at 23:58.
    Feed it some Green and watch it grow

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been running a Detroit in my rear D44 on my CJ5 for about 5 years now... with 33" rubber. Most of the time, I don't know it's there. I've just modified my way of driving around corners. I either coast or apply power "lightly".

As for a spool... they suck on the street. My buddy ran one in the rear D44 on his CJ7 (with 36" TSL Radials).. wore about half the tread off the rear tires in less than 6 months. Barked around every turn and uturns were downright ugly sounding. We swapped in a Detroit and he's been a happy camper ever since (about 3 years now).
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime