User Tag List

Thread: Thoughts On This Jeep, Is It Worth It?

Non-MVC Supporter Military Jeeper's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thoughts On This Jeep, Is It Worth It?

Went and looked at this Jeep today and it was in pretty good shape ($6,500, 1985 JEEP CJ-7 4x4 Laredo).

Things bad and good about the Jeep:

Cons:
    - The hardtop has seen it's better days (you can tell someone tried to fix it previously) but I don't think it's worth salvaging
    - The passenger door doesn't have an outside handle and some of the interior portion of the doors have tears in them (same for seats, small tears)
    - The front floorboards have some surface rust because a carpet kit is installed and moisture probably got trapped underneath
    - Snap rings are installed on the tub for the old softop versions that used the snaps (meaning I'd have to remove them and patch holes one day)
    - Brakes are soft (It does have power brakes though)
    - Drain **** on radiator appears to have a small leak
    - All chrome is rusted (not a concern as it would be removed anyway, but not salvagable for resale)
    - Numerous gauges don't work anymore.......go figure, haha
    - Some oily residue on engine, but to be expected on original engine (6 cyl)

Pros:
    - Factory suspension, never lifted
    - Steers straight, no wandering (Factory steering wheel too)
    - Automatic (Normally I'd say this is a CON but I'm tired of shifting in bumper to bumper traffic)
    - Seats in decent shape (Has factory back seat still)
    - No body rust or frame rust.....even in the normal places (it was shipped from Cali)
    - Decent paint job, not great but decent (Charcoal Gray Color with clearcoat still in tact, it's been repainted from what I can tell)
    - Carpet installed (I can resell this and make $100 probably)
    - Aftermarket center console and tuffy speaker boxes in the back.
    - Factory installed swing-away tire carrier
    - Never off-roaded
    - Tilt steering
    - Bikini top
    - Spare soft doors

My only real dislikes about the Jeep are it's a 6 cyl.............and my current Jeep is a 79 CJ5 with the 304, much more fun and loud. I was planning on swapping axles and engine/driveline on my CJ now but if I grab this CJ7 I'll do it on this Jeep instead so it's kinda a moot point anyway.

NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE MOUNTAIN VALLEY CUSTOMS (MVC) FOR ANY 4x4 MODIFICATIONS - PM ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS WHY!

(To those who wonder, I am NOT the club founder, this has been my screen name for over 10 yrs on all other forums and ironically this site is called "Military Jeepers"......contact miljeep for forum related questions)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You forgot to mention if the dog comes with the jeep. If not, you may be able to talk the guy down some more. All in all, it doesn't sound too bad to me. If everything is mechanically solid, I would think that it isn't a bad idea, but I don't know too much about CJ7's.

There's blood EVERYWHERE!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 1999

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh.... If you're going to swap the drivetrain, then you might as well keep looking... Just a little high priced for what you wanna do....
    "Uhm... Is smoke supposed to be coming from there?"

www.odjeeps.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it looks clean but its an 85 jeep and you said its never been off roaded i'm sure thats not true
    2012 kawasaki Teryx4

Sold-85 CJ7, 6 inch lift, siting on 36's, welded rear, lots of drain holes

Sold-93 YJ, 4.0,